WIRE Audio FFT to Midi Piano Trigger

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
vhsdestroyer
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

WIRE Audio FFT to Midi Piano Trigger

Post by vhsdestroyer »

So I've been playing with the audio FFT and have made some cool progress with it, definitely lots of ideas of how to start patching it.

However I built an effect and could not get it working. The goal is to drive a limited frequency band from audio FFT to trigger a midi command for momentary selection of the random clip playback mode for a layer.

The basic patch is as follows:

Audio FFT ->
Linear (8 Instances) ~ Read ->
Split ->
(at this point we have 8 frequency bands distributed across the incoming audio spectrum)
Int In ~ Switch->
Greater Than ->
(now we should be able to select between frequency bands and have a minimum threshold for a true value)

A this point we can drive the true value to any destination. Where I'm lost is creating Midi data for a momentary button press, which will temporarily trigger the random clip playback mode. I created the patch as an effect and played with many of the Midi write nodes but could only get the Midi trigger to permanently activate random clip playback mode.

If anyone can help with the structure of the patch that would be amazing.

vhsdestroyer

Re: WIRE Audio FFT to Midi Piano Trigger

Post by vhsdestroyer »

Here is the node anatomy, from here I need to generate a momentary midi signal for "layer 2 playback mode"
Attachments
A8270200-7D9D-4F8B-9B6A-6D22BDDBA9EA.png

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

You can use the Delay node to make a delayed event of your midi trigger, and use that to trigger a different midi note which would set the playback mode back.
Képernyőfotó 2021-09-20 - 9.23.20.png

You'd still need a midi loopback to Resolume, because a Wire patch loaded in Resolume is not sending midi on itself, but uses the Resolume midi system to send the midi out.

We're working on options to control the Resolume UI from a Wire patch which will make it possible to do what you'd like without workarounds.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

vhsdestroyer

Post by vhsdestroyer »

I just tried this exact configuration with no luck, I'm not exactly sure if something in my midi setting aren't working properly. I will give a try to manually updating playhead position soon and see how that goes! I would love to see some direct UI interfacing between wire and resolume, or a discrete commands section similar to midi or keyboard control of some type!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

vhsdestroyer wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 20:04 I just tried this exact configuration with no luck
Which exact configuration? The midi loopback?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

vhsdestroyer

Post by vhsdestroyer »

Yes, using the midi delay to write on and off notes. The best I could get was a permanent toggle of random playback mode activated.