VJ's - What do you call yourself?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

For anyone who is interested in vj-ing/live cinema/AV performances, you should definitely read the "LIVE CINEMA language and elements" thesis by Mia Makela. It really does a good job at describing what we are all doing.

You can find the PDF on her website:
http://www.solu.org/writings.html

pollyhanny
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by pollyhanny »

i think we are performers, live visual artists.

juLiE
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by juLiE »

Originally posted by bart
For anyone who is interested in vj-ing/live cinema/AV performances
You can find the PDF on her website:
http://www.solu.org/writings.html
suPer, thanx-olah :-)

bises-peace-olah, juLiE

vj_jasper

Post by vj_jasper »

Originally posted by juLiE

for "symphonie diagonole" clip:
------------------------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mvDGcu4O3v8

for more info about norman mc claren (my fave):
---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.nfb.ca/animation/objanim/fr/ ... oeuvre.php
oh yeah, an online version of Symphonie Diagonale! so good to see all those shapes and rhythms again. thanks again juLIE.

the norman mc claren info page seems to have a lot of spelling mistakes on it.

vj_jasper

Post by vj_jasper »

here is a great place where you can play pac-man inside a mondrian painting:
http://pbfb.ca/pac-mondrian/

the thing about vj's is, some would think it is fabulous entertainment to mix in a video game being played realtime, with a 3d game promo playing through the other channel. and if it looked good, that would be totally cool, completely relevant, etc etc. and to me that is not somehow live cinema, it is more ... 'vj', for want of a better term, heh.

i guess mixing video games and 3d game promo's are moving toward the machinamation style of video art. anyway, the term 'vj' would seem to cover all of that, whereas 'live cinema' might not (even tho i do think 'live cinema' is a marvellous term).

btw my personal style does not include mixing in video games, however i have been enjoying some "cracktros" recently. what is a "Cracktro"?
well, in the days of the Amiga 1000, there began a trend, for the hackers who cracked a program's security, and made a game available, to actually put their own animation 'piece' on the beginning, so when the game first started, up comes these special effects, bitmap photos of the hackers, graffiti graphics, 80's synths, etc.
Cracktros are really cool, some of them have quite mad and silly things going on. things are typed on screen during the Cracktro, such as "Download stuff from internet".

Fabb

VJ fest in Dublin

Post by Fabb »

Originally posted by coolhandloop
it is indeed hard to nail it down what we do. in dublin there is only a handful of us! when u say vj to people they think u sed dj
Hi guys,
I'm actually studying the development of VJing for a master (Sorbonne-Paris).
In parallel I work on the organisation of an Irish/French VJ festival. It's interesting what you said Loophandloop... VJing in Ireland is not known and famous as it should be... That's why the idea of festival.
Would you get in touch to talk a bit more about VJs in Ireland?&about the festival?
Seeya!

sebastiaan

Post by sebastiaan »

Hi Fab,

I would like to know more about this festival, I am a VJ in Dublin and I agree that something needs to be done to promote the VJ scene in Ireland. Very often people and even promoters don't exactly know what we do and what we are. Some people think that I am doing light effects
and it is frustrating.

If possible I would like to get in touch with you to see if I can make a contribution to lift up the VJ image in medieval Ireland.
I am also planning to organize some gigs in Ireland next year
with stunning visuals and I am looking for a partner in crime.

Feel free to give me a buzz on 0857469830 or email me to

sebastiaan.vanooijen@equitant.com

Cheerszz..

juLiE
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by juLiE »

Originally posted by sebastiaan

to lift up the VJ image in medieval Ireland.
you know, even in detroit, VJ-ing is not that well known (at least when i was living there, now i live in france). i don't think it's as much about the place as it is that it's a new thang, and new thangs take time to catch on...and of course, moola-olah (funding) helps a lot also ;-)