Vj Documentary

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
VJ Nexus
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Vj Documentary

Post by VJ Nexus »

I've been commissioned to make a short documentary about the history of visual arts and its evolution, inevitably, to the modern vj and visual performer. Here's what i would like from you, the vj community. If anyone would be willing to video tape themselves, interview style, and talk about anything of relevance in this field, I would love to have a wide range of artists in this documentary. (If you don't speak english, please include subtitles). This film will be shown in several museums, art openings, and expositions across the usa. (perhaps it could be shown in europe as well through some of your guys' connections)

Primarily the video will focus on the evolution, growth, and synthesis of technologies prevelant in this field. Audio statements would also be great, however video interviews would be best. Please contact me before taping yourselves, as there are specifics as to how this should be done.

Thanks everyone! Hopefully this sounds like a good idea to everyone else too. (Bart/Edwin - i'd love your input on this as well!)

[Edited on 4-7-2007 by NexusIntent]

gdlt
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gdlt »

For some history check the site from Micha Klein. He has some interviews online in the press section starting in 1993
http://www.michaklein.com

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

great initiative Nexus!

send us an email with questions that you would like to have our view on.

wopij
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by wopij »

I'm just new in the world, but I would like to do something, if you want..

nrrtv

Post by nrrtv »

Yeah, would be nice to participate!

Why don't you create a questionnaire, like bart said, and put online for us to read and record?

Thanks!
Jonathan

jim
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

academic vj links

Post by jim »

http://www.montevideo.nl and http://www.vjcultuur.nl both contain info on the evolution of vjing. the article "synastheic proformance in the club scene" on motevideo.nl - english section and than > news > 2003. very good. also I would be keen to do an interview

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by Basic »

im interested! :P

VJ Nexus

Post by VJ Nexus »

thanks for the great feedback! I'm going to post a questionaire and instructions for whats needed tonight after i finalize it.

thanks guys!

VJ Nexus

Post by VJ Nexus »

Alright guys, for those of you who are interested, here's the deal. Because I can't travel around the world, you all are going to have to interview yourselves. I've included a *very rough* guide to camera/light setup, and face placement on screen. (These guidelines should be followed - trust me i've been making documentaries for years, and this is the best way)

Try to answer the questions by rephrasing the question into the answer.

Questions:

How is a vj an artist?

What is a VJ?

What made you want to be a VJ?

What is the process a VJ goes through to create their show? Before and during their set.

Why does a VJ help the atmosphere in a club?

What are some techniques you use to create your show?

What do you think the invention and evolution of computers has done for VJs?

Is being a VJ more about being an artist, a technician, or an engineer?

Where do you get the images that you project on screen?

What artform is VJing closest to? If any?

Whats the worst thing that has happened to you at a gig? Best thing?

In your own words, explain the evolution leading up to the modern vj…

How has the recent development of available equipment changed the way vj’s perform?

Is a VJ more a product of a the DJ revolution, or the stage visual arts revolution?

Are VJ’s as well known/respected as the Dj’s they perform with? Why/why not?

Are visual artists gaining prominence and respect? how/why?

...and whatever else you want to talk about.

Camera setup
The interviewer should be right next to the camera, so the interviewee is looking across the frame, but not dramatically. Use something interesting in the background (ie your workstation/club). Close ups of faces, maybe shoulders, no further zoomed out than that. This works best if the interviewee is at least a meter or 2 from the background. For an example of interview framing, look at my documentary called "Toast to Taste" on my myspace video page.
here

Thanks guys!! I'm running on a tight deadline here, so if anyone wants to participate, please let me know asap when you're done filming. Don't worry about errors and stumbling on words - just send me all the raw footage and i'll deal with it.

Post here when you are done, and i'll figure out a way to get the footage to me. I have a FedEx account and will cover shipping expenses if need be.

THANKS!

(Bart/Edwin - if you could go into the technology/software development aspect that would be great. The importance of working with vj's to develop for them, the importance of collaboration between programmers, and the evolution of vj interface devices as both a result of industry demand and ease of use thus opening the market up to the more general public. Feel free to email me with questions.)

[Edited on 4-16-2007 by NexusIntent]

[Edited on 4-17-2007 by NexusIntent]

nrrtv

Post by nrrtv »

Wow... great!

Just a couple of questions:

1- Its ok to record using an 1ccd camera?
2- I know this sounds very basic but all questions must be answered in english, right?
3- When you ask to rephrase the question, using the number 2 as an example, do you ask to do something like "Well, what I think what is a VJ is bla bla bla"?
4- There is need to actually have one person asking you these questions or you just answer, in sequence?

thanks!