rinsing the codec question.....

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
ether - warpTV_

Post by ether - warpTV_ »

Hi Guys

first of all, huge ups for resolume - i bought it just b4 nu year and have had blast - love it to bits - keep finding cool new things to do with it...

anyway - i know lots of people have been asking about codecs - yes i know about keyframing and quality settings - but please tell me there will be more codec support with v1.1 or 2??
cinepak is ugly - no matter what quality setting you have - it was originally designed for playing video off quad-speed cd-roms when they were the latest and greatest - and it's showing it's age.
I get good performance from my 1.2GHz athlon with a matrox g450eTV, but the quality is so-so (especially using 320x240 clips).
By far the best codec for live work is sorenson (quicktime) - it is variable quality and keyframable, so looks great, triggers fast, and scratches better than a dog with fleas.
I know you guys are busy, and you have done an awesome job so far, but i would like to see a couple more codecs supported (well sorenson anyway)

pretty please???

douglas_

Post by douglas_ »

For me the best codec so far has been Indeo 5.x -- it looks fine, the files are about 2/3 the size of cinepak, fast to encode, and it's historically supported by Intel and Microsoft so I would think it's fairly universal. It does suck in terms of play speed; everything becomes slo-mo, but since that's part of my visual schtick anyway I don't mind.

kerrin_

Post by kerrin_ »

i second that. i used Indeo 5.04 with the final-beta release of Resolume way back in july '01. it gave by far the best results in terms of picture quality, and slow-down was minimal, only occuring during moments of extreme visual torture. and this was coming out the back of an IBM 700MHz Thinkpad with 128MB RAM. definitely the best codec around.

douglas_

Post by douglas_ »

today i just found a better codec than Indeo, namely the On2 VP3 open-source codec. It looks just as good as Indeo, yet the files are only half the size:

http://www.on2.com/vp3_opensource.php3

Magion Vision_

Post by Magion Vision_ »

I am using Midivid codec for Composite station ( I know this is Resolume page...) and it is the fastes codec I ve seen. I ve PIII 550 and it is no problem to play 3 layers in 640x480! The picture is little less color then original, but I can adjust it in card output option... so no problem. Does anybody use this codec too?