proces resolution & other quality questions.

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Ruud_

Post by Ruud_ »

I'm beginning to collect my footage and I;ve bought a DV camera with a (relative) high resolution.

Now I suppose I have to choose 1 resolution to work with and convert al my footage collected by DV camera to that resolution.

First I aimed at 400x300. That should give satisfying live acts scaled to 800x600 on projector?

But allmost all of the internet footage is 320x240 damnz..

Should I choose to resize my DV footage to 320x240 too and work with this resolution as standard?

Ruud_

Post by Ruud_ »

short version.. Should I render all my footage to 400x300 or 320x240 ?

videoteque_

Post by videoteque_ »

I would go 400x300!!!

Ruud_

Post by Ruud_ »

Ok but when I find 320x400 footage from the web,

then should I RE-RENDER it to 400x300?

Because if you work with these two resolutions in Resolume, i experience some ugly pixling...

seex_

Post by seex_ »

i use diferent sizes of resolution, but i lug my office comp to gigs. Using diferent size clips shuld probably effect cpu but its no problem in my case. I have a whole lot of clips in 320x240, since i bought a new comp i render all to 640x480 this is also the size of my output monitor. The answer to your qestion depends on what kind of system you plan to run resolume on. Three layers of 640x480 cinepack are no prob for P4 2.4ghz and nvidea fx5200 128DDR.

Test play your clips in dualhed mode and you will see how much you can sqeze out of your sistem.

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

when resolume uses files at a different resolution then the process resolution it first needs to rescale these to the process resolution, usually this is no problem but it's a little bit faster if all your footage is allready at the process resolution

Rincevent
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Rincevent »

Can someone explain me more in depth why there is a PROCESS resolution and a DISPLAY resolution ?

I suppose if I have a 320*240 clip and PR (process resolution) set to 400*300 and DR (display resolution) 800*600
First the clip is processed / "converted" in 400*300 and then re-processed / re-"converted" to 800*600, why don't use 800*600 for PR AND DR ?

does it takes less CPU to PR 400*300 and the DR at 800*600 and why ?

I don't understand very well.

GuyKo
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by GuyKo »

Good question! I would like to hear some clarifications to that as well.

GuyKo.

juLiE
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by juLiE »

Originally posted by seex_
I have a whole lot of clips in 320x240, since i bought a new comp i render all to 640x480 this is also the size of my output monitor.
instead of starting a new thread, i'll post here:

i have lots of 720x480 avi indeo 5.2 compressed footage that i want to re-scale down to either 640x480 or 512x384. i realize it's just a matter of using virtualdubmod to batch these clips using "resize" and again compressing w/indeo.

i'm still learning about video compression in general (which is a rather involving science-art!), and well, the quality is starting to look real shabby with very visable artifacts appearing more so when i re-scale - most likely because i'm compressing w/indeo once again, non?

i have a feeling i need to go back to original source footage and render appropriately there.

anyone's thoughts, experience with re-scaling/re-rending/compressing footage?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

You have to use the same codec to get the minumum of codec on codec loss..

What you need to try is first full decompress your 720x480 avi, and than compress it again using the 512x384 resolution. I'll bet you can batch it all too, and than it will work out,

Ruud