Syphon across computers

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
fhill2
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Syphon across computers

Post by fhill2 »

Does any Syphon user know a way of outputting a Syphon output across to another computer to be mixed in Resolume?
I would love to be able to do this.

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Syphon across computers

Post by HerrNieDa »

http://vimeo.com/14531751

seems it works with the sources in resolume (ffgl plugin)
but not over 2 machines/network i think
does fugstream works over network?
the only way i see is a video capture card (blackmagic, matrox mxo, aver-media, ......)
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

fhill2

Post by fhill2 »

Which is the best HD capture card on the market right now for transferring video across to another computer to be mixed in realtime?

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Syphon would be cool across the Network but it's using a very specific OSX feature (sharing textures between processes) which makes it very platform specific and it doesn't work across a network.

We have good experiences with the DeckLink capture cards.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/

fhill2

Post by fhill2 »

Hey Edwin. Thankyou for the advice. I looked at those cards. My situation is:

i use a mbp 15" with resolume so i'm unable to get a PCIe capture card. I would go for the black magic intensity capture box and spend the extra bucks just to make sure everything will be allright, but they took the express card off the 15" when the unibody's came out so I can't get a usb 3.0 connection.

It probably would have been better if I had been more clear about what I was trying to ask :D sorry.

I was wondering what is the lowest latency and highest resolution capture box on the market that can capture through a usb 2.0 port? (or firewire 400/800, if a capture box can do that)

Ofcourse money is an issue, but if it wasn't, what would you recommend to be my best choice?

I only need to capture the input from another computer (if that makes any difference)

back to researching, and anything i found i'll post below.
- freddie

vade

Post by vade »

Technically this is possible already, but requires a touch of finagling to get working well. The first issue is that Gig ethernet is usually not up to sending uncompressed HD - best case maximum with a tuned network is around 120MB/sec (and thats not for data, thats for raw transfer, including protocol overhead). Typical max is around 90/100 MB/sec

720p 60 HD at 8 bit, uncompressed 2VUY (422) at format frames is around 115MB/sec. Syphon handles ARGB, so you are talking much more data, you would need to compress it, plus so including protocol overhead you are basically screwed. You could do lower resolutions and framerates perhaps but...

Now, all that said, you can do some work to get this happening. You can use the new jit.uiuc.codec for Max MSP and compress and send frames over the LAN this way.

Machine 1)
a) Resolume -> Syphon Server out
b) Max5 / Jitter patch -> jit.gl.syphonclient -> jit.gl.asyncread -> jit.uiuc.codec (compresses it) -> jit.net.send

Machine 2)
a) Max5 Jitter patch -> jit.net.recv -> jit.uiuc.codec (decompress) jit.gl.syphonsserver (publish)
b) Another application that uses Syphon can read it now with a client.

So, with some jumping around, it is possible (ish). Might be nice to make a native Mac app that handles this for you. Oh, time time time.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

C'mon Vade you can do it! Quit your job, dump your girlfriend and make it happen. All for the love of a bunch of randommers on the interwebs ;-)

Alienwar3z

Post by Alienwar3z »

fhill2 wrote:.. i use a mbp 15" with resolume so i'm unable to get a PCIe capture card.
- freddie
Hi Freddie, this can be done trough your Thunderbold port.

Check out this Magma's ExpressBox 3T: http://www.magma.com/thunderbolt.asp

:ugeek: Alienwar3z

Alienwar3z

Post by Alienwar3z »

Hey guys,

check out this tools: AirParrot + AirServer

I can achieve 86fps at 1280x720 with my MacBook Pro (late 2011) with Mountain Lion.. thanks to the new Sandy Bridge CPU's built-in feature called Quick Sync (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video)

najrock
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by najrock »

Alienwar3z wrote:
fhill2 wrote:.. i use a mbp 15" with resolume so i'm unable to get a PCIe capture card.
- freddie
Hi Freddie, this can be done trough your Thunderbold port.

Check out this Magma's ExpressBox 3T: http://www.magma.com/thunderbolt.asp

:ugeek: Alienwar3z

no... apparently it cannot