Question about Effects Clips and/or Layers

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
VM_Nexus
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Question about Effects Clips and/or Layers

Post by VM_Nexus »

This may be more of a question of how layers work in general, I'm not sure. I'm new to Resolume and I'm trying out 4 after using VDMX for quite a while. What I'm trying to accomplish is to have my effects clips layer be the only one that is showing - e.g. instead of having the original video showing at full opacity on a layer below. In VDMX I am able to hide or show a layer but leave it active so that I can use it for masking another layer. Is this possible in Resolume?

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Question about Effects Clips and/or Layers

Post by VJair »

you can solo layers. also you can choose 50 mask from the blending options to use a layer as a mask.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Question about Effects Clips and/or Layers

Post by Joris »

Aside from what VJ Air said:
What I'm trying to accomplish is to have my effects clips layer be the only one that is showing - e.g. instead of having the original video showing at full opacity on a layer below.
Effect clips can never be the only layer showing. They need some input to work, because they are essentially just effects An effect applied on nothing looks like... well... nothing ;) You can however set the opacity of the effect clip layer to 100%, so you see *only* the final result of the effect applied. For effect that generate an alpha channel (pixels in space for instance) you can check the Black Background box to render them on black.
In VDMX I am able to hide or show a layer but leave it active so that I can use it for masking another layer. Is this possible in Resolume?
We are playing around with implementing a routing system such as VDMX has. How, when and if this will make as a feature is very much up in the air at the moment.