Developing questions

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Developing questions

Post by Basic »

cool, good to see some bugs having been fixed. Im still rocking 3.3.3 as i dont have a need for the upgrade just yet.

Can i ask also. Will there ever be a release where there are no bugs or is this just the software business? - Im not having a go im just curious :)

VJair

Re: Free Resolume Avenue & Arena 4.0.1 Update

Post by VJair »

the easy answer is "unlikely" - that stands for every manufacturer of software, not just the resolume team.

Basic

Post by Basic »

Yeah i do understand its wont just be resolume. but I wonder why not? I do also understand that fixing a bug can cause another bug. I find the topic interesing. But that would be for another thread!

Still though. hearing interesting things about the 4.1 update :)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I wonder why not?
I once saw a spy movie, where they mentioned that the chance of a secret leaking out, increases exponentially with the amount of people that know about it.

The same can be said for coding. If I was to make a software that does one thing (i.e. display a rectangle), for one OS, for one hardware configuration, to be used by one single person, I'm pretty sure I could get it to work bug free.

The moment any of those parts becomes more complex, the chance for errors increases exponentially. So although we test every new release carefully, and are very cautious about making changes or adding features, there is unfortunately no way to ensure 100% 'bug free-ness' for every feature, on every OS, on every hardware configuration, for all users. We're sure as heck are trying though.

When you think about it, It's actually amazing we get it out the door at all ;-)

Basic

Post by Basic »

cool, thanks for putting it like that. Ive never heard that sort of question being asked before ;)

fruitygreen
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by fruitygreen »

This is exactly why I requested the knowledge of the Development teams hardware Specs.

http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic ... ecs#p34108

Basic

Free Resolume Avenue & Arena 4.0.1 Update

Post by Basic »

so for example, say you just coded for mac... you have more chance in theory of having less bugs due to hardware?

Just thinking of it I've only ever had a few minor bugs that never affected performance.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Developing questions

Post by Joris »

We're all a bunch of Mac fanboys mostly.

At the office:
  • Edwin works on: MacPro 5,1 dual eight core, 2,4GHz, 6GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, two ATI Radeon HD5770, 1GB each
  • Bart works on: MacBookPro 6,1 dual core i5, 2,53GHz, 8GB RAM, boots into OSX 10.7.3 or Win7, NVidia GeForce GT 330M 512MB, with an extra OCZ-Vertex SSD where the DVD player used to be
  • Joris works on: MacPro 5,1 quad core 2.8 GHz, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.7.3, two ATI Radeon HD5770, 1GB each, up to 6 monitors
  • Dani & Tim share: MacPro 3,1 dual eight core, 2.8GHz, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.7, two ATI Radeon HD2600 XT, 256MB each
  • for testing: Antec quad core i7, 2.67 GHz, 6GB RAM, boots into Win7 or XP, Nvidia 9600GT 512MB, with 3 OCZ Vertex SSD drives, BlackMagic Intensity Pro
  • for testing: Antec eight core i7, 3.2 GHz, 8GB RAM, Win7, two ATI Radeon HD6900, with OCZ Vertex SSD drive, up to 5 monitors
Live:
  • Bart uses his office laptop which scares the bejeebus out of me
  • Tim: MacBookPro 6,1, dual core i5, 2.53GHz, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.7.3, NVidia GeForce GT 330M 512MB
  • Joris: MacBookPro 8,3 quad core i7, 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.7.3, ATI Radeon HD6770M 1GB, plus a late 2008 MBP with the NVidia 8600 512MB running Leopard and a Matrox MX02 Mini
  • Dani is not here right now, but he's a got a 2009 15" MacBookPro
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (59.52 KiB) Viewed 16815 times

VJair

Post by VJair »

can i have the adrees for your office please.

also, is there there somewhere nearby i can park a large van at night, preferably without streetlights or where anyone can see me

;)

reminds me of the immersive studios... many big toys for the big boys :)

VJair

Post by VJair »

ps. is that a ping pong table on the left? we have one too, its clearly the choice of video pros 8-)