Thunderbolt Blackmagic + Matrox Triple Head?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
gregsully
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Thunderbolt Blackmagic + Matrox Triple Head?

Post by gregsully »

Is it possible to combine a Blackmagic Thunderbolt capture device with a Matrox Triplehead (on the Thunderbolt out of the Blackmagic device?)

In theory yes right? But in reality?

Thelooca

Re: Thunderbolt Blackmagic + Matrox Triple Head?

Post by Thelooca »

Unfortunatly not. Unless you use à MacBook pro 17" wich has 2 thunderbolt ports.

gregsully

Post by gregsully »

OK well... I have been assuming that all Thunderbolt devices have a in and and a out for daisy chaining.. I am discussed to learn that most do not including the Blackmagic devices..

I'm mostly a PC guy.. have used both MAC/PC over the years.. and trying to keep an open mind about both.. But this is the exact point why Mac's always come back to bite me in the ass.. They have taken their only video out port, and combined it with thunderbolt port .. and the only way its usable in daisy chain mode with external monitors is to be using one of their Apple display monitors.. The closed ecosystem they they are creating strikes again...

To "Thelooca", current Macbook Pro's including 17" only have one thunderbolt port... Thus its impossible to have a real world video out (to projector or LED wall..etc) and a thunderbolt device function at the same time.... F**k you mac..

Thelooca

Post by Thelooca »

My mistake, i ment the thunderbolt cinema display with 2 thunderboltports indeed. I second your comment but remain mac-fan because of some other features...

But: Macbook pro 17" could have 2 thunderbolt ports too because it has en expresscard slot wich can be converted to thunderbolt.

gregsully

Post by gregsully »

Thelooca wrote: ......I second your comment but remain mac-fan because of some other features...

But: Macbook pro 17" could have 2 thunderbolt ports too because it has en expresscard slot wich can be converted to thunderbolt.
Ya honestly.. I'm really giving it a shot mentally to switch to Mac so I could have those features available to me as well.. Primarly Quartz and Syphon.. Well what the full plan is.. two laptops.. on PC running TouchDesigner and the Mac running Resolume capturing TouchDesigner via HDMI.. (Or two Resolume machines .. when I need primary + a backup in a corporate environment)

The Blackmagic Devices are finicky, I wonder if the ExpressCard Thunderbolt port option would provide any problems.. Otherwise I'm going to run two PC laptops with the Blackmagic capture via the USB 3.0 device.. It would be a cheaper and more powerful solution but loose the ability to do mac only things..

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

if you're using a mac, forget black magic.

Expresscard slot to Matrox MXO2, it works well for camera or BD player capture. If however you want to capture computer to computer, it can be tricky... but doable.

gregsully

Post by gregsully »

Stickygreen wrote:if you're using a mac, forget black magic.
Any reason behind this thinking? I have a mac tower here with an internal Blackmagic card and its flawless.. (Not tested on Resolume)

fruitygreen

Post by fruitygreen »

gregsully wrote:Is it possible to combine a Blackmagic Thunderbolt capture device with a Matrox Triplehead (on the Thunderbolt out of the Blackmagic device?)

In theory yes right? But in reality?
I don't own a real Mac, so can someone with real experience with Thunderbolt ports and devices comment on the benefits of it vs USB3 ports. Maybe I'll invest in them so I can be compatible.

Thanks

Ps:-) Macs are for the creative minds, but I'm a PC loser, freak, and / or fanatic cause all I buy are computer parts and make them any flavor ( nix, Mac, or windoze). :D

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

gregsully wrote:
Stickygreen wrote:if you're using a mac, forget black magic.
Any reason behind this thinking? I have a mac tower here with an internal Blackmagic card and its flawless.. (Not tested on Resolume)

the OP is referring to a laptop, not a tower...

if you have a macbook pro that's using a BM device then maybe you might have something going on there.

But for the sake of this conversation, a Black Magic device will not do, the device the OP needs is not a thunderbolt capture card, but an expresscard capture device. There are other expresscard capture devices besides the Matrox MXO2 that work, AJA, and Motu make devices that work with resolume, but as far as I know Black Magic does not make one. If however the OP does not have a laptop with an expresscard slot then forget it, the tech does not exist yet.

I also have a BM intensity card that i use with a rack mount PC, and yes it works well with resolume.