SMPTE Setup

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
cstrang24
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: SMPTE Setup

Post by cstrang24 »

So I have the CDJ setup and here's a way to split the fader start signal.

You have 4 CDJ 900/2000/2000nexus and either a DJM 900nexus or a DJM 2000. Both mixers work, and all 3 CDJs should work, but this is what I use for a DJM 900nexus and 4 CDJ 2000.

Make sure they are all connected by PRO DJ LINK (including the mixer) via ethernet cables and at least a 5 output LAN switch. Have 6 - 7 outputs to connect one or two computers with Rekordbox.

1) Turn on the fader start on all 5 units (use the utilities menu on the mixer).
2) Set Channel 1 and 2 to side A of the crossfader, and set Channels 3 and 4 to side B of the crossfader.
3) Set the crossfader curve to the hip-hop style (straight line on top) setting.
4) Take the audio outputs of track 1 and 4 and route them to a soundcard connected to Resolume (NOT the mixer).
5) Cue a song on players 2 and 3, and plug in a USB or CD with a longer (10-20 min, preferably .wav) SMPTE signal to players 1 and 4.
6) Adjust the pitch on the two SMPTE players to match the players 2 and 3.

Now when you bring the crossfader to either side (let's say side B for this case), the 2 tracks assigned to side A will be started at the same time, so the SMPTE signal will be perfectly in sync with the song.

Here's how you mix with it. You need to utilize the vertical faders if this is going to work. Say your current track is playing on side B (players 3 and 4). The vertical fader on channel 2 is all the way down and is cued to your headphones. Beatmatch in side A with the crossfader as close as you can. When moving the track back and forth with the jog wheels to match them, make sure you are doing so on the track that you are transitioning out of. This prevents the SMPTE signal on side A from going out of sync with its corresponding track. only slightly changing the previous visuals (which is ok, because after the transition side B will be replaced, and those visuals will be on their way out).

I also find that using this way to cue in a new track is more accurate than using the vertical fader with fader start, or the cue/play buttons. Or at least it's easier for me.
This way works well for me, because I use only vertical faders when I mix, so before I set this up my crossfader had no function to me.

Side note:
If you are having trouble setting the player numbers on the CDJs (when it says auto in the utilities menu), unplug everything but the power and then go back to the menu. You should be able to change it now.

Smulider

Post by Smulider »

But the program has only one input SMPTE. While both sides playing together mix. Resolume two SMPTE signal gets mixed right and left. Need something to separate fed both of them to know what software to use to run the clip
Attachments
record.PNG
record.PNG (11.62 KiB) Viewed 16680 times

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

I would imagine you would need a timecode generator(hardware), there is software available....it is costly.

Stafis
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Stafis »

You have two signals and only one input...

Kind of the same problems DJ's have... - Two CD-players and only one soundsystem....

Mayby you are looking for a mixer? ;)

Smulider

Post by Smulider »

Hahaha funny :)) And what happens while mixing the crossfader is in the middle and hear the fed both of them together?

Stafis
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Stafis »

Well actually, fading would not work for SMPTE as far as i know.

But having two timecodes i beleive you have a couple of options right now:
1. Switch between the timecodes on the way in to your computer (maybe with a mixer or something else?)
2. Get a second computer and then use a videomixer and mix the outgoing video instead?

Any more options maybe?

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

Current SMPTE setups used by them:

"Normal" DJ setup with 4 CDJ and mixer. CDJ to mixer with digital audio cable.

Serato SL4 box

CD1 is used to control SMPTE signal. Loaded with Serato control tone on USB drive

Single RCA to dual RCA cable out of left and right of cd player into channel 1 and channel 2 of SL4 box (CD left into channel 1 left and channel 2 left with split cable, same with right).

SMTPE track loaded into deck 1 of serato, music loaded into deck 2. Output 1 of SL4 is RCA to XLR sent to FOH for input. Output 2 of SL4 is normal RCA back into channel 1 of mixer. Use digital/rca knob to switch between normal setup/SMPTE control.

Eyesupply can probably explain better.

Smulider

Post by Smulider »

Someone from eyesupply here to explain to us??

4eyes
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by 4eyes »

But why would they just spill you their secrets? :D

Smulider

Post by Smulider »

If not them, then someone will think of a creative idea... :) :ugeek: