SMPTE Setup

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Mayaand
Is taking Resolume on a second date

SMPTE Setup

Post by Mayaand »

Hey,

We are doing a live set which includes vocals that needs to be synced, i found and thought it was rather interesting, problem is i cant really find anything about how to hook up the smpte signal to resolume. I cant even figure out where the signal comes from, is it prerecorded or made by the CDJ-2000s ? How are the 4 CDJs connected ?

Hope you can help the venues are nagging me for a tech rider, and im really working blind here :)

Stafis

Re: SMPTE Setup

Post by Stafis »

The timecode is Audio based, so it is prerecorded either on CD'd or in this case above probably just a soundfile on a USB-stick.

If you should manage with mono audio, you can have sound on one channel and timecode on the other, just make sure you dont play timecode to the audience :o
- This approach I have used several times to sync fireworks (pyrotechnics - not the software) to music.

But since I have not seen any addon boxes for this purpose, my guess is input through a soundcard?
I hope someone can confirm or correct this.

/Stafis

Mayaand

Post by Mayaand »

Thx for the reply, i think whats going on is that there is timecoe on one and clicktrack on the other and when armin switches tracks the new SMPTe/clicktrck will be sent to the vj, and the vj still has to change the clips playing mannualy put how this is all possible i still have a lot of doubts about

Stafis

Post by Stafis »

I think there is timecode on both the outer CDJ-s.

But i then see several possible setups,
Simple or cheaper version - then my guess is that the VJ have their own audiomixer so that the vj can chose witch of the timecodes to forward to resolume.

Better more robust but more costly version is that they have more than one computer and a separate video mixer. (But still cheaper than the CDJ's)

/Stafis

Mayaand

Post by Mayaand »

Money is no problem(wihh always wanted to say that ;D) he says at one point that the left one is running a click track for vocals

Mayaand

Post by Mayaand »

Problem with video mixer is that its going out to led walls and proberly will have all kind og weird formats

Stafis

Post by Stafis »

At 2:05 he says that the outer players are for SMPTE...

Yes you might have to adapt your output screensizes and such to fit the videowalls, but that should work with a videomixer anyway. Most of the videowalls I have 'stumbled' over have SDI/DVI/HDMI/VGA or such inputs that should work with any good videomixer...

/Stafis

Mayaand

Post by Mayaand »

Ahhh sory i dident explain proberly, the problem is that a video mixer sends out a fixed scrren size i.e. 16:9 4:3 whatever and i will proberly come acros all kinds of weird set up like 1000p x 445, and all this wouldent really be a problem but because i have facs and texst this will get to distorted so i need my laptop to be my output.

but anyways all of this dosent really matter, what i really need to find a solution to is how cdjs are connected, and how the audio is sent :)

Mayaand

Post by Mayaand »

So ive seached every where on the net for info on how to create a SMPTE signal that matches up with resolume, but i cant find anything :(

The resolume guide dosent really state much more then its possible..

(but good news on the technical side its done with a network hub and a decent soundcard and im going to have a back up pc and the signal via a switch)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

So what exactly are you looking for? SMPTE is just an audio file, where the system interprets the sound and decodes it as time information. Just playing back a CD with a SMPTE track, or even an .mp3 in iTunes is good enough to 'create' SMPTE: http://www.modrec.com/tutorials/audioFi ... /smpte.mp3