DXV File Sizes & HDD Bottlenecking

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
VIN
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

DXV File Sizes & HDD Bottlenecking

Post by VIN »

Hello, Im a new user here. First and foremost I'd like say a few quick words about Resolume. I've been screwing around with the 4.1.1 trial and I must say that I am astonished by this beautiful piece of software. A++ too the company and thank you for allowing a trial like yours. I will buy this once the funds present themselves. Until then I will praise it too all I know; for it's amazing abilities (even with low resources) and being one of the very best VJ software available for a standalone Windows PC. (& Mac)

I'm new too VJing, but I do understand the basic differences of file types and their usability. I've read about and have downloaded the DXV codec as well as Squared 5 (1.2.1b6 beta). I am running off a desktop with i7 2.7ghz, 6gb ram, with a 9800gtx+. I am rendering at 640*480 with Resolume and have no need for HD content right now. My CPU has yet to go over 30% idel and I am having no delays in rendering under high loads. For my PC though my biggest bottleneck is my HDD. It's a 500gb running at 7200rpm. So, while the GPU capabilities of DXV are awesome, I'd like see some hard data concerning HDD bottlenecking when it comes to increased file sizes.

I've searched and I'm coming here for some links or any info. How large of files would I have to have to show delays? How many? Like I said I've yet to have any problems, but I'd like to understand the extent of this possible problem. :ugeek:

grif
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: DXV File Sizes & HDD Bottlenecking

Post by grif »

bitrate is loosely defined as resolution x framerate, and most harddrives are 40-60MB/s when half full, so if you are reading files with bitrates that are close to this amount then you will get stuttering. DVX is a uncompressed codec so bitrates are large even for smaller video sizes. If you are using a laptop you need a SSD (avoid OCZ if u do cause they produce garbage and wont honor warrantees) and if u are using a desktop setup a raid 0 array.