live music video ingest on a mac

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
corunography
Is taking Resolume on a second date

live music video ingest on a mac

Post by corunography »

Hello,

So I just secured a VJ residency that is unique. They have a DJ that will be spinning some music videos. I will fill in the rest.

Currently I have a 3 screen composition configuration and was hoping to get an input from the music video DJ. Is there a USB3.0 ingest device that will work with Resolume on the new macbook pro? (my thunderbolt ports are being used for the multscreen output). I am considering the BlackMagic Intensityshuttle for usb3.0. Does that work with Resolume?

I am concerned there will be a delay if I ingest the music video feed. Is anyone getting a live music video feed into resolume and mixing it in their sets?

thanks so much for the insights!

-Jon

4eyes
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: live music video ingest on a mac

Post by 4eyes »

There will always be some sort of delay when capturing a source using blackmagic cards. It usually isn't too bad though, just a few frames when going over thunderbolt in my experience.

As far as your USB 3.0 dilemma; from what I have read on the Blackmagic forums it seems that the Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt is OSX ONLY and the Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 is Windows ONLY. This is a limitation of the drivers Blackmagic has made available and might possibly change in the future. Source: http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewt ... f=18&t=197

Are your three outputs unique or could you DA the signal from one? Perhaps you could use a dualhead on one of the thunderbolt ports leaving the other free for thunderbolt capture. No firsthand experience with that setup however sorry.

corunography
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: live music video ingest on a mac

Post by corunography »

Oh wow, thanks for the reply! That is really a shame about USB3.0 not working on the mac.

I think I have a solution for the delay. Luckily the DJ uses the new version of Serato, and it has a video delay compensation feature. I'll be able to offset their signal to remain in sync after it is ingested into my system. Tat is the plan anyhow.

Now I just need to get the signal into Resolume on my mac. Are there any other input devices on the market that work with USB? Worst case scenerio I will use my triplehead card again to free up a thunderbolt port, but I really wanted to leave that out so I could pack less when going to a gig!

Any ideas for another video ingest device for the mac?

thanks!