Documenting your work: video/photo

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
floorvan
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Documenting your work: video/photo

Post by floorvan »

Hi all,

I seem to come across this problem quite a bit. After a gig/performance/installation, I often want to document my videomapping results. I have a really great camera (5D Mark ii), so should really not have any problem getting great footage, but I seem to not have the settings right yet.

I've tried all sorts of ISO settings, different user modes for the video, etc..

Wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get great photography (and video) of projection projects?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

ReggieUnderground
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Documenting your work: video/photo

Post by ReggieUnderground »

It sounds like you are new to photography. Start by reading the manual that came with your camera and a couple photo books. The 5DmII is not a point-and-shoot so you will have to do some research to get what you want out of it. I can pretty much guarantee that relying on default user modes and cranking ISO will yield bad results for filming projection. Full manual is the way to go and you have to experiment. If you are too busy to learn, consider hiring a local photog.

If you are well versed in photography and still getting bad results, perhaps you could post some photos/stills and describe what isn't "quite right" about them so we have more info to look at.

fruitygreen
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Photography tip

Post by fruitygreen »

Try:
-Set camera on tripod.
-Turn Flash off.
-Set ISO to around 400 or so. (Higher ISO increases sensitivity to light and add more noise).
-Set Shutter to around 30 or lower. Lower will increase motion blur . (Reason for a tripod here).
-Iris or Aperture adjust to light glow effect while facing the light projection.
-Mess with the above(ISO, Shutter, Aperture). With live view adjustment , start with the darkest settings and adjust the settings till you get desired exposure.

or

-Put camera in auto mode .

or

-Hire some pro

floorvan
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Documenting your work: video/photo

Post by floorvan »

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not totally new to photography but was wondering if there were any special tips in getting better results. These help Thanks!!