Change Multiple Parameters at the Same Time

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Full Spectrum
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Change Multiple Parameters at the Same Time

Post by Full Spectrum »

Hi all,

When I select multiple files, I see that some parameters can be changed simultaneously, such as Position, but it would be great for more options as well.

It's a small QoL thing, but when programming for theatre, changing something like duration of a fade for multiple stacked clips would streamline my workflow.

Thanks,
David

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Change Multiple Parameters at the Same Time

Post by Arvol »

You can map the same external hardware control to multiple parameters. This is already a thing :)

Full Spectrum

Post by Full Spectrum »

Thanks, Arvol. Yes, I am aware about external hardware options, but maybe I don't know about the one you're referencing?

Example:

The lighting designer wants to try a transition at 3 seconds. (Light and Projections are almost always separated in theatrical settings). I need to be able to change any number of opacity and effect durations to 3 seconds by typing in the "timeline parameter animation" field as quickly as possible. The time it would take to map external hardware (I think) would take longer than just clicking on each file and doing it manually. Is there a way using a controller to do this as quickly as I'm wanting to get it done?

Anyway, it's super minor, but would be a nice quality-of-life improvement.

Thank you!

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Can you not map this on the lighting desk so when the LD makes a change on the desk, it also changes Arena?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Changing the Layer transition time is not enough? https://resolume.com/support/en/layers#layer-transition
That's pretty quick to map for a few layers.

You could have copies of effects, or clips in layers, and use the layer transition to fade between them.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Full Spectrum

Post by Full Spectrum »

Arvol wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 02:24 Can you not map this on the lighting desk so when the LD makes a change on the desk, it also changes Arena?
You totally could, but there is traditionally a split between Lighting and Video, especially in larger theaters and opera houses. Sound, Lights, and Video all are isolated. Each one has a programmer who works simultaneously in parallel. There is no centralized digital show control, but rather three operators who are synchronized by the verbal "GO" of the Stage Manager.
Zoltán wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 Changing the Layer transition time is not enough? https://resolume.com/support/en/layers#layer-transition
That's pretty quick to map for a few layers.

You could have copies of effects, or clips in layers, and use the layer transition to fade between them.
That would absolutely work for some cases, but not all. For example, I might have rendered out eight video clips that have durations of 5 seconds, and I want to be able to change them all to 3 seconds on the fly.

Or maybe change the exact colorize color. Etc.

Just a suggestion, thanks!

tobymatrix
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by tobymatrix »

I'd love to see this also.. I've done a feature suggestion of a master dashboard as well as Dashboard dials that can be animated / automated, so all the parameters you want to sync up can be tied to one master dial that can then be automated,,

Give my feature a vote & I'll do the same :)

in the mean time, check out a really cool little app (Mac only sadly) called Vezer which is a DAW / Timeline based app but that can send OSC on a timeline, so you could OSC all the parameters & run a timeline in Vezer to control them in sync.

Hope this helps

:D