16bit DMX fixtures and pixel drawing

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Username739266
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: 16bit DMX fixtures and pixel drawing

Post by Username739266 »

Zoltán wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 14:55 If you want to pull specific channels of the fixture, maybe you can do that in a lighting console.
Thanks for the response, I didn't see it until now.

As far as controlling from a console that is indeed something we do. In this case I don't think the console could do it directly as it would be a media server side thing. Let me try to give a better use case scenario. On a film set we might have 10 or 20 screens at 1080p, 150 Astera tubes in 16 pixel RGB mode, 50 Martin VDO Sceptron 10s and dozens of film lights that are actively moved. Depending on where the camera lands and where actors are we need to be able to adjust the brightness and color in logical groupings quickly. So for most of my projects I'd break it down similar to how slices are currently used; by wall, art piece and type. Then when the camera looks in direction one and sees 3 screens directly on, 4 from an off angle and a mix of the tubes and sceptrons we can take their groupings and adjust the brightness and color to appear appropriately/uniform on camera. Currently in Resolume I can compensate for this slowly by going through each group and adjusting the IRGB values. What this doesn't solve is (1) being able to do it quickly or repeatedly and (2) being able to tie it into cue'd looks. Example 2 is needed because every clip has a colorspace that will render differently on every lighting instrument used. In person shows rarely care that blue on a Sceptron is a different part of the spectrum than a Titan but in the film world we do care and we have to make them match.

I understand that the film/tv/commercial/music video world is not the target audience of Resolume. This feature is currently only in MBOX (not madrix or arkaos) and would open yourself up to a lot more customers. We are a user base with a lot of money that buy a lot of tools, I could also see the base utilizing the artist content if the licenses allowed.

Username739266

Post by Username739266 »

Zoltán wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 14:55
This way you could also have presets made in your effect clips, and use them on demand.

If you want to pull specific channels of the fixture, maybe you can do that in a lighting console.
Thanks, I've been using this on my last TV show. I also found I can do similar with Video Router; pair a fixture to the layer and then the layer references the other layers. This seems to have limits because the layers stack and then reference each other. This has led to another issue/need in that it would be nice (or if it's a thing I don't know how to do it) is to copy and offset DMX settings. So I can take the time to make a complete/complicated layer control and then just copy that with a +40 offset or whatever to the other layers. This would also make making a small RGB control layer on those slices/video routers easy as well.

So far I'm making it work, I can just see this won't scale very quickly without some automation.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Slice transform effects can also be used with Fixtures. If you can run an RGB adjust effect together with such a Slice transform, you could have grouped control of your fixture color corrections.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Jambalob

Post by Jambalob »

Username739266 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 19:42
Zoltán wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 14:55 If you want to pull specific channels of the fixture, maybe you can do that in a lighting console.
Thanks for the response, I didn't see it until now.

As far as controlling from a console that is indeed something we do. In this case I don't think the console could do it directly as it would be a media server side thing. Let me try to give a better use case scenario. On a film set we might have 10 or 20 screens at 1080p, 150 Astera tubes in 16 pixel RGB mode, 50 Martin VDO Sceptron 10s and dozens of film lights that are actively moved. Depending on where the camera lands and where actors are we need to be able to adjust the brightness and color in logical groupings quickly. So for most of my projects I'd break it down similar to how slices are currently used; by wall, art piece and type. Then when the camera looks in direction one and sees 3 screens directly on, 4 from an off angle and a mix of the tubes and sceptrons we can take their groupings and adjust the brightness and color to appear appropriately/uniform on camera. Currently in Resolume I can compensate for this slowly by going through each group and adjusting the IRGB values. What this doesn't solve is (1) being able to do it quickly or repeatedly and (2) being able to tie it into cue'd looks. Example 2 is needed because every clip has a colorspace that will render differently on every lighting instrument used. In person shows rarely care that blue on a Sceptron is a different part of the spectrum than a Titan but in the film world we do care and we have to make them match.

I understand that the film/tv/commercial/music video world is not the target audience of Resolume. This feature is currently only in MBOX (not madrix or arkaos) and would open yourself up to a lot more customers. We are a user base with a lot of money that buy a lot of tools, I could also see the base utilizing the artist content if the licenses allowed.
I too would like to see a suitable alternative to MBox in the TV/Film market. Plus 1 for 16bit fixtures.

rolandmc
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by rolandmc »

mercury2768 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 19:13 Is there an eta on the 16-bit feature? If you guys could incorporate it I think a lot of film/tv people would use this as their goto media server since the other options are wildly expensive that we are using right now (green hippo, d3, even MBOX) - and they are complete overkill for what we need
+1 for that sentiment. It's not just cost, either, I legitimately like Resolume far better than any other server and try to use it whenever I can. 16bit color control would really help, especially since I'm often switching back fixtures from lighting control to video control depending on the scene/take. Nobody likes me having to dumb all of the fixtures down to 8bit to accommodate video control.

(and yes, I voted)

Jambalob

Post by Jambalob »

Has there been any movement on 16bit DMX Fixtures for the advanced output window?

rolandmc
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by rolandmc »

Jambalob wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 05:24 Has there been any movement on 16bit DMX Fixtures for the advanced output window?
I'm doing my periodic check in with this as well!

Even if there's no 16bit control, can we at least get an option to "fake it?" Meaning, allow us to route the Red, Green, and Blue, separate from one another?

This way, if I had a 16bit fixture that I wanted to map, I could do this:

DMX Channel 1: Red
DMX Channel 2: Dummy channel (in reality it's fine control of Red, but Resolume doesn't do this)
DMX Channel 3: Green
DMX Channel 4: Dummy channel
DMX Channel 5: Blue
DMX Channel 6: Dummy channel

Obviously this is not ideal, 16bit control is ideal, but this would at least get me up and running on a lot of LED mapping rigs that don't actually need the fine control of R,G, and B.

mercury2768

Post by mercury2768 »

It's a shame they don't care. I don't think they realize how much of their userbase they are missing out on by not having this essential feature.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

mercury2768 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 03:03 It's a shame they don't care. I don't think they realize how much of their userbase they are missing out on by not having this essential feature.
It's a shame people comment like this^

curtislx@hotmail.com

Post by curtislx@hotmail.com »

I could also really use these two features:

1- 16bit colour (being able to put dummy channels in between colours would work just fine as well.)

2- a way to control individual fixture intensity (opacity), or groups of fixtures intensity (opacity).
Even a way to enable/disable fixtures or lumiverses without having to go to the advanced output section.
Slice transform doesn't do this properly, i've tried a bunch of different ways.

I know it sounds whiny, I also love this product, but i assure you I could create and build much better with this kind of control. Merging lighting and video correctly.

I still use MA2 as well as resolume, so I'm not looking to replace my lighting console, just a nicer way of combining the two.

Thanks!
Last edited by curtislx@hotmail.com on Fri Nov 11, 2022 02:27, edited 1 time in total.