Improve Random Autopilot Algorithm

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
aleksis7
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Improve Random Autopilot Algorithm

Post by aleksis7 »

aaronrrc wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 22:27 Hello everyone, forgive me if I insist on this subject, but definitely something is wrong with the random code, maybe is the programming language, I don't know, but while some videos never play, others repeat and repeat and very often. Avenue is a great software, but for me it lacks a very basic functionality: a good random algorithm, not only the random function of the programming language. It's a shame for me to change the usage of this software for a simple player like VLC, which doesn't have the awesome features of avenue, but it has a better random algorithm, I hope in newer versions, the team make an improvent on this subject, Cheers.
Yes, I also noticed the imperfection of Random in Autopilot.
I have considerably fewer fragments - a maximum of 70 and a very short duration each . And during an hour of uninterrupted playback, the same ones are played multiple times. And some fragments are never played back no matter from which fragment the playback is started.

Random AI features are the future, and I think developers should pay special attention to this aspect.

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

We made an improvement on the random algorithm in 7.11. The original random method was a bit biased, we now moved over to a more modern implementation.

subpixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by subpixel »

I'm glad to hear that the Resolume team looked into this a problem. I had similarly noticed some clips launching unreasonably often. I have a "Random" clip in the first column of many of my layers with a very short duration and the Autopilot mode set to Random Clip for that clip in particular. The idea is that I can launch the clip to get a random clip on the layer at any moment (without waiting for the current clip to finish). It interferes with the functioning of transitions, but it is the best option I have until Resolume implement a "trigger autopilot now" button for layers.