Anti Aliasing option for slices

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Anti Aliasing option for slices

Post by Arvol »

What is the input edid for the led processor, can your computer not use that same edid?

Example: Total pixel count of LED walls is 4k x 1k, so your led processor uses a 4k signal.
in Resolume you output 4k and map your slices accordingly.

djsky
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by djsky »

Presume you were replying to me?

My query is if the composition is 4K, but the led wall is only 1000 x 500 pixels, anti aliasing is necessary, so I guess we would need an external scaler between the Resolume and the LED driver, rather than pixel map the outputs in Resolume, as each pixel is only driven by the Center pixel of the composition mapped pixel... ?

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

I don't see how a hardware scaler will be any different? What if you scale everything in the comp and then just have it output 1:1 in advanced output?

TBH I've never had any issues with pushing 4k content to a 720p screen in terms of AA

djsky

Post by djsky »

Yeah, the issue is that generally we have a high res screen in the Center of the stage, and then low res screens off to the side.

Therefore the compositions tend to be decent resolutions.

When you put static logos or images on the side screens, the panels will be “theoretically” lower than the slices’ resolution, therefore any diagonals look quite jagged if pixel mapped within Resolume.... but with an external scaler if you send more pixels for these side slices, the external scaler can do some additional processing, such as anti-aliasing etc.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

What hardware are you using? TBH Resolume's scaling always looked the same if not better than the hardware scaler's we used (I'm primarily a LED tech), so I stopped using hardware scalers (also because they are prohibited in most shows, as guest's refuse to use them due to latency, and another thing to go wrong during the show). We mainly used the Barco and Analog Way line of hardware scalers, and I found that Resolume gave me the same looking image without the additional cost and hardware. I haven't had the need for a $90,000 E2 on my shows, so maybe they do it better, but then you're paying $90k for scaling... really isn't worth the investment if scaling is the only thing you're after lol, just my 2 cents though :)

djsky

Post by djsky »

But does Resolume actually “scale”?

I understood that if you have a slice that is 12 pixels wide by 48 pixels tall, and you map it to something that is only 3 pixels wide by 12 pixels tall (I know - ridiculous) Resolume only maps the centre-most pixel of the composition to the output pixel... and doesn’t actually scale anything.

Whereas if you used an external scaler, it would look at ALL the pixels around the 12x48 and scale accordingly, and anti alias the nearby pixels.

Granted, latency would take precedence over image in a live environment.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Yeah, it scales ;)

Menno
Team Resolume

Post by Menno »

We don't exactly take the center pixel, we take the average of the four nearest pixels. (linear filtering instead of nearest). This only works when you're scaling by exactly 50%, for smaller scale factors we're discarding information as you've said.