HAP support?

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
bangnoise
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: HAP support?

Post by bangnoise »

Just chiming in to correct some disinformation in this thread.

Hap is a video codec, and not a container format (and the same goes for DXV, H.264, etc, etc). Currently there is support for it in AVI and QuickTime containers, because those are the ones most people use.

Hap is not tied to QuickTime.

Hap movies encoded on MacOS are playable on Windows (and vice versa) and you can use the same content in TouchDesigner and VDMX without reencoding. You can also use the same content in a load of other software - just not Resolume, for whatever reason.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Thanks for stepping in!

There's a lot of hearsay on Hap going on currently, which I now realise I am also contributing to. It's great to have you come and clear things up.

It's good to know that cross platform support is better than we thought. That will make things a lot simpler when we eventually get round to implementing Hap support in Resolume.

Just to be sure I understand you 100%: It is in fact possible to render Hap encoded MOVs on Windows, from let's say for instance AE? And Hap encoded AVIs play with hardware acceleration in VDMX and the other usual suspects?

bangnoise

Post by bangnoise »

Joris wrote:Just to be sure I understand you 100%: It is in fact possible to render Hap encoded MOVs on Windows, from let's say for instance AE?
Correct, install the Hap QuickTime codec Windows version.
Joris wrote:And Hap encoded AVIs play with hardware acceleration in VDMX and the other usual suspects?
For VDMX and other applications based on QuickTime, AVI playback requires you have an appropriate QuickTime component installed to read AVI files (eg DivX), as well as the Hap codec.

The MOV situation is exactly the same as for DXV in that it is cross-platform, and thanks to the work of RenderHeads, Hap users also get the option of using AVI for workflows which prefer that container.

Phlux
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Phlux »

Joris wrote: If you require higher quality GPU accelerated playback, we can't wait to hear what you think of DXV3, which *is* coming before January.
How's it goin' eh?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Crap. I knew that one was coming. Well played, sir, well played :D

As you might have guessed, we ran into some snags with the 4.2 release. They're not DXV related though, so anyone that has an immediate need for DXV3, feel free to get in touch via mail.

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by pfelberg »

What can we expect from DXV3? ; )
What´s new? What´s changed?

Sadler
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Sadler »

Just for fun I installed the HAP codec on windows and rendered an existing visual so that I have the same in 720p DXV and HAP.

Code: Select all

CPU          GPU            FPS (no FX)
DXV        9%          25%             88
HAP        11%         24%             82
It is only one example but quality was good on both viewing on 32" HD screen. Also, so far absolutely no instability.

ProjectileObjects

Post by ProjectileObjects »

+1 for this (really plus 11,000+ clips that are already in Hap), I have problems going back and fourth between Resolume and other programs with other VJ's and collaborators. DXV is awesome, but having support for hap quicktime movies would make it easier on me and may others.

Thanks

jim
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by jim »

sleepytom wrote:It's public knowledge that the resolume programmers have HAP decoding working in private test builds of resolume.
I have not got to the end of this post yet, but that is not really a relevant argument part of the development process of software is creating test builds to 'test' (as the name suggests) the stability of the software. The reason why Resolume is a stable reliable VJ software is through quality assurance and proper testing during development. Just because a feature is wanted sooner doesn't mean they should bypass their procedure and compromise the integrity of the program.

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Joris wrote: If AVFoundation is not opened up for 3rd party codecs, the HAP/DXV/AiM camps will need to come up with an alternative. When that happens, we're hoping we can work together on it, so any solution will truly benefit the community.
I will need to make a pc2mac switch soon, and I'm reading about the deprecation of qt, etc.
I'm not asking about hap support, but what the state of things right now about dxv and avfoundation?
(I see hap has developed some kind of framework to deal with that). Reading a lot of old post and misleadings here and there, you will agree is a very confusing task.
About maintaining our assets crossplatform, do you recomend stick to avf suppported codecs and recompress to dxv3 for our eventual gigs? What's the actual drawback for dxv getting rid of quicktime?