Input selection options

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
LXConcepts
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Input selection options

Post by LXConcepts »

Joris wrote:Thanks again for the lengthy explanation.

I understand and acknowledge that this would be very tedious to do with Photoshop and layer masking, and impossible with just *output* masking.

I'm still not sure if you've answered my question though. If you have the ability to arbitrarily draw shape masks on your *input* slices, surely that would make this kind of setup possible and easily adaptable?
kind of, although it still requires a lot more effort than really necessary

using the above example, in order to get slice 1 to a diamond shape, I need a mask (assuming i can draw an inverted mask that masks everything *outside* of the shape i draw) as well as the slice. If I can't draw an inverted mask, I need 2 masks and a slice.

to get slices 2 and 3 to line up, it needs to be split into 4 slices -> two triangles and two rectangles. The triangles will require a mask each, so now something that could easily be done with 3 manipulative slices requires five slices and at least three masks- almost three times the work!

If I'm dealing with mapping 40 non-rectangle objects (which isn't a lot....right now I have a small 4 output setup using 65 surfaces...64 of which aren't rectangular, we aren't using resolume because it would take way too long to map), I need a minimum of 40 masks and 40 slices

with being able to manipulate the input selection shape, you only need 40 slices and don't need the masks at all- it's a lot less work and a lot faster
Lighting and media server design

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

So what I think you're after:

You want to make a star shape (for instance), by freely drawing five points marking the outer radius and five points marking the inner radius. Then you can freely position these 10 points on the output transformation to align the projector output to your star object?

Is that describing the process a bit?

LXConcepts
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by LXConcepts »

Joris wrote:So what I think you're after:

You want to make a star shape (for instance), by freely drawing five points marking the outer radius and five points marking the inner radius. Then you can freely position these 10 points on the output transformation to align the projector output to your star object?

Is that describing the process a bit?
Yes exactly
Lighting and media server design

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Empyfree »

What you've just described sounds like absolute nirvarna! I've been trying to do this for ages and failing. Please consider this form of implementation for "5"...

mrfipe
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by mrfipe »

Hello All,

Have you ever consider to use a plugin like IrMapio from http://visution.com/
Like madmapper in mac, IrMapio is on Mac or PC a input to output almost selection free tool, you could do quads, triangles, circles.

I hope I could help.

Give me feedback ;)
3Media servers i7 860 8GB RAM 240GB SSD Nvidia 760
1Media server i7 7800X 16GB RAM 240GB SSD Nvidia 1080
1Media server dual Xeon E5 2650 V2 32GB RAM 240GB SSD Nvidia 1080 + 970
1MacBook Pro 15 Retina i7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Nvidia 750