set preview monitor to display advanced output?

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
najrock
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

set preview monitor to display advanced output?

Post by najrock »

searched the forums cant find anything on the subject...

in the past I have used a distro amp to view my map from foh... last weekend a pelican was lost at the airport and I was flying blind without the ability to see my output before i went live....

having the advanced output display on the output preview tab would be great in these situations

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: set preview monitor to display advanced output?

Post by Joris »

Yes, that has been requested before. It's a great idea, but technically it's a bit of a problem.

What you see in the output monitor is not a copy of your output. It's the actual master texture that gets sliced up in the advanced output. This is also why the card that has the interface on it, is the card that gets used for rendering.

Similarly, the preview monitor is not a copy of the clip or layer you're previewing, it's the actual texture that's being rendered.

This is a bit of legacy implementation from the Res 3 days, when the physical output was always a 1:1 copy of the composition output.

We're going to rewrite this for Res 5, but unfortunately we cannot change it for Res 4. It's one of the main foundations of how Resolume currently works that things have to be this way.

Hope that explains things!

Thelooca

Post by Thelooca »

Some getarounds i 've used in the past:

If you are using 1 projector or ledscreen:
- connect a monitor (aka third screen) to your computer and mirror second and third screen (on mac: option drag your screen on the other in the advanced display settings)
- If available: use monitor out of your projector.

If you are using multiple projectors or ledscreens:
- use a second computer, setup a network and use screensharing to see what's on every screen of your main computer.

hope this helps!

najrock

Post by najrock »

Joris wrote:Yes, that has been requested before. It's a great idea, but technically it's a bit of a problem.

What you see in the output monitor is not a copy of your output. It's the actual master texture that gets sliced up in the advanced output. This is also why the card that has the interface on it, is the card that gets used for rendering.

Similarly, the preview monitor is not a copy of the clip or layer you're previewing, it's the actual texture that's being rendered.

This is a bit of legacy implementation from the Res 3 days, when the physical output was always a 1:1 copy of the composition output.

We're going to rewrite this for Res 5, but unfortunately we cannot change it for Res 4. It's one of the main foundations of how Resolume currently works that things have to be this way.
Hope that explains things!
ahhh..... tricky stuff,

Thanks Joris!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

What I do in situation where I want to see the advanced output,
I open the advanced screen setup, switch to output transformation, place it somewhere on the screen over or besides the GUI.
The GUI can be controlled the same way, as if the output window was not open.
You will find, that the advanced screen setup will stay on top of everything.

edit: I just had an Idea, would it be hard to implement to place a checkbox in the advanced screen setup window to just switch off the right and left side controls - not to show them - and/or lock slices? So the user would have a "resizeable output preview window".

like so:
like so
like so
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

I usually use VNC, a laptop and a wireless router when I can't see from FOH. Dont try it during a performance. Your FPS will drop considerably.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I typically add one monitor to my setup, move the advanced output window to that monitor and maximize it.

It can get tricky because it uses the GPU but I find that it's totally worth it. A great way to do it is to use a Matrox DH2G (or ZOTAC Mini-Displayport to Dual HDMI) with 2 @ 1920x1080 monitors on a dual screen stand.

DayVeeJay

Post by DayVeeJay »

TurboVNC/VirtualGL looks promising. It's a VNC thats made for graphics intensive apps. Unfortunately I havent had the time to test it. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I have tried RealVnc, a while ago
somewhere in the server prefrences the graphic driver can be chosen, so the servers fps will not be affected.
On the client side it got a bit jerky , I guess around 8 fps, but that was enough for a preview for me.

Teamviewer has a function to switch between server displays.
downside is you need internet connection for teamviewer.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

DayVeeJay

Post by DayVeeJay »

I did not know you could specify the GPU. I'll have to try that. I noticed with Tight and Ultra VNC that the mouse movements where pretty smooth on the server end even when the video was choppy on the client. For configuring the advanced output it works ok, but not fantastic.