LED brightness driver support

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
chenthemagician
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: LED brightness driver support

Post by chenthemagician »

lol, I get you...your just lazy...lol...but that's kool...we all get like that...there is probably another way to get what you want done.

Resolume saves all the variables in the advanced output, inclusive of the brightness of the slice, so you can have your presets as you wished.

Looking into the XML file for the advanced output, "led screen" layout in advanced output duplicated, one for day settings which would have all slices @ the brightness 1, and then another for night set to 0.5 (or whichever works per screen), so that your master works on all of them with the same rate of change.

My 2 cents from clear skies and hot night in front of the fan, Jamaica
HP Omen
8 GB RAM
i7 7th gen 2.8 GHz
Win 10 Home
Nvidia 1050 GTX

Asus G751J - 860M
i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

Livid OHM RGB Controller

Creating Solutions, Tailored to your needs!

Repping from the 876 - Jamaica "Out of Many, One People"

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

To clarify, LED control software is an interesting area. We don't have the time to do anything serious at the moment, but it would be nice to hear what people are using to get our bearings. Linsn's LED Studio seems to be the main tool of choice here in the Benelux.

chenthemagician

Hey Joris,

I've used Barco, Absen(LINSN), ROEVISION, and some a few other generic ones.

The easiest fix, I am seeing versus writing in additional code, is to release the limit set of 0.5 for the brightness so the range is from 0 to 1. Thus "presets" can be made and saved to the advanced output. Different angle :D, as the saying goes work smarter, not harder...

2 cents from the now very sunny and quite hot Jamaica
HP Omen
8 GB RAM
i7 7th gen 2.8 GHz
Win 10 Home
Nvidia 1050 GTX

Asus G751J - 860M
i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

Livid OHM RGB Controller

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Personally I don't want to give LED guys more excuses to blame the video guy. Already alot of these guys have the most basic's of understanding. eg Audio guy suddenly becoming a LED tech for weekend festivals.

If you suddenly get even close to the programming, they're gonna blame VJ's for every little problem. Its cool as an idea but there are ways of dimming slices and screens via layer routers and advanced output.

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

Not asking to be able to do anything to
Advanced other than control brightness/contrast. Actual mapping and configuration of screena themselves should be left to the appropriate software.

Of course if you have an incoming VJ you are not going to give them USB so they can integrate control of LED into Arena. This is more for guys that need more control over larger setups.

I'm looking for ways to simplify my setup, not over complicate it. I already have a setup that has to use slice/layer routing. Adding more layers/slices to do something like dim a single screen is to much

ReggieUnderground

Post by ReggieUnderground »

drazkers wrote:Personally I don't want to give LED guys more excuses to blame the video guy.
Expanding on this point... Any time there is an LED screen, there should be at least one dedicated technician for it. I've been on a couple gigs where nobody from local production took responsibility for the screens, resulting in a mess. Deeper LED processing control on our end could be a dark path to go down.
Last edited by ReggieUnderground on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

chenthemagician

Its weird hearing that there is a divide, coming from where I stand I am the tech that sets it up and the VJ who runs them as well...and its because of the knowledge of how its setup I have a unique advantage of maximizing the screens to their fullest potential...as well as in larger venues with a more complex setup, I agree there needs to be a tech on had dedicated to ensuring that the screens stay up and running throughout the event. However, knowing how things are run helps to buy that tech enough time to fix the problem, and get things 100% again.

So I see it as mutually beneficial, to both tech and VJ, to have a deeper understanding of each other's environment...

And it makes for better creative latitude when you know how every section works.

My 2 cents from sunny and hot Jamaica
HP Omen
8 GB RAM
i7 7th gen 2.8 GHz
Win 10 Home
Nvidia 1050 GTX

Asus G751J - 860M
i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

Livid OHM RGB Controller

hookerbot

Post by hookerbot »

chenthemagician wrote:Its weird hearing that there is a divide, coming from where I stand I am the tech that sets it up and the VJ who runs them as well...and its because of the knowledge of how its setup I have a unique advantage of maximizing the screens to their fullest potential...as well as in larger venues with a more complex setup, I agree there needs to be a tech on had dedicated to ensuring that the screens stay up and running throughout the event. However, knowing how things are run helps to buy that tech enough time to fix the problem, and get things 100% again.

So I see it as mutually beneficial, to both tech and VJ, to have a deeper understanding of each other's environment...

And it makes for better creative latitude when you know how every section works.

My 2 cents from sunny and hot Jamaica
I completely agree, as someone who also sometimes techs, sometimes vjs. As a tech I often find VJs who really have no idea how to map an led wall, but as someone who hung the wall and programmed it, I can vj and know how to get things built with in resolume to make the best use of it. Always annoying when a "professional" VJ needs you to setup their software for them... /off topic

I understand exactly what you are trying to do, and why OP, but I've used Linsn, Novastar, Versatube, and Martin P3 drivers, and I don't think the resolume team should even try to get into that mess.
I would encourage you to do as others have suggested and just make a couple advanced output presets, all mapping copies of each other with different lumosity, as required. Good Luck

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

hookerbot wrote: I understand exactly what you are trying to do, and why OP, but I've used Linsn, Novastar, Versatube, and Martin P3 drivers, and I don't think the resolume team should even try to get into that mess.
I would encourage you to do as others have suggested and just make a couple advanced output presets, all mapping copies of each other with different lumosity, as required. Good Luck

This was probably said before they added the advanced output so you could map LED walls better with the software itself. If, as the LED tech, you don't want the incoming VJ to have direct access to this feature - don't give them the USB cable to the sending cards!

As it is now, the options in advanced output are not robust enough to have complete control over LED brightness, it doesn't matter how far down I take down the brightness in advanced output it is still to bright.

I know we have asked for full range brightness in the advanced output before, this was just another section.

It could be 2 fold - if you have the drivers installed and have the USB cables plugged in, you could associated the brightness controls with the LED itself, otherwise it defaults to an extended version of what it there now