Artnet IP

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Artnet IP

Post by Oaktown »

I'd like the ability to see and set the Artnet device IP manually not just the device name.

Also for some reason, on my MBP even though I am able to connect to the node (Enttec ODE) , the name still shows up as Artnet not the node's assigned name which is not a problem when you are controlling only one universe but can become problematic with multiple universes.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Artnet IP

Post by Joris »

ArtNet in Resolume is broadcast, you don't assign any devices at all. You simply choose which internal Lumiverse to patch to which external Artnet universe.

You then assign which universe your device listens to on the device.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

For ArtNet Ouput, shouldn't the name of the Artnet device come up in the drop down menu under the Lumiverse? Either way, I'd like to see the IP address of the device I'm patch into and the ability to manually enter the IP address just in case.

As far as ArtNet input, Resolume doesn't come up with any node name on external controllers, it just comes up as the IP address of the host computer.

Also, shouldn't the name of the Input be different than Lumiverse 1? It seems confusing to me that Lumiverse 1 is Artnet input and output when it's actually 2 different Artnet universes. How about "ArtNet Input Lumiverse 0" or just "ArtNet Input"?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Joris wrote:ArtNet in Resolume is broadcast, you don't assign any devices at all. You simply choose which internal Lumiverse to patch to which external Artnet universe.

You then assign which universe your device listens to on the device.
If I am connected with a laptop thru wifi and wired, (or I have a server with two or more ethernet cards) and the connections are on different ip ranges, for example 192.168.1.0/24 and 10.8.0.0/24 then alt least let us choose the network card for the broadcast output.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Before we continue, let's make sure we all have the same understanding of how ArtNet currently works in Resolume. It's a bit different from how you may be used to, so bear with me.

Input
You can set up one ArtNet input. This input does not have a changeable Lumiverse assignment. Resolume DMX input works only on a single universe.

The fact that it mentions Lumiverse 1, is to futureproof the UI for when we might add support for more than a single universe of input later on. Either way, this is indeed Input Lumiverse 1, which is not the same as the first Lumiverse you create in the advanced output. I will make a ticket to change this.

Output
You don't send ArtNet to a specific physical device or specific IP. This would be unicasting, and this is not currently supported.

Instead, Resolume broadcasts its universe data to all IPs on the network. If a device with an IP in the network range is set up to receive a universe that Resolume is currently broadcasting, it will respond. The connection between physical device and Resolume is made by setting up which universe the device should listen to. This is done *on the device*.

When setting up an ArtNet output in Resolume, you only select which internal Lumiverse is sent to which ArtNet universe. Not which device you send to. Because, again, this would be unicast.

Example: if I have Resolume Lumiverse 1 set to send out on ArtNet Subnet 0/Universe 0, any device that is set up to listen to universe 0 will pick up that universe. Even if that is 3 different ArtNet dongles on 3 different IPs. If I were to add a second Lumiverse, and set it up to send out on ArtNet Subnet 0/Universe 1, none of my devices would respond. Only when I change one or more of my 3 dongles to listen to universe 1 instead of 0, those devices will start responding.

Now for your questions.
I'd like to see the IP address of the device I'm patch into and the ability to manually enter the IP address just in case.
So this would be unicasting. This is not currently supported. We're researching if we can implement this.
Resolume doesn't come up with any node name on external controllers, it just comes up as the IP address of the host computer.
That would be a problem on the side of the controller. It shows up in Luminair just fine.
Also, shouldn't the name of the Input be different than Lumiverse 1?
Yes, you are correct and this is indeed needlessly confusing.
If I am connected with a laptop thru wifi and wired, and the connections are on different ip ranges, then alt least let us choose the network card for the broadcast output.
This is a valid point, and hopefully this will also be addressed by adding unicast support. For now, you will have to shut down your second network card.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Thanks Joris for the very detailed explanation! Unicasting vs Broadcasting is of course what created the confusion and this makes total sense now.

Now regarding the name of the node, I am using Luminair and it does come up as Resolume. I misunderstood your first post and assumed that Resolume would come up as Broadcast instead.

Now if I "Broadcast" from Luminair, I get jumpy results in Resolume but if I "Unicast" DMX seems to work fine. That is of course an issue if I try to use Luminair to control both Resolume and external dimmers/LED lights/moving lights in which case I need to Broadcast to all nodes. Or am I missing something?

Joris

Post by Joris »

Unicast and broadcast are only important for the sender. Unicast means "send to one specific IP", broadcast means "send to all IPs on the network".

It makes no difference to the receiving device whether the message it just received was sent to only itself, or to everybody else as well. So when you're sending *to* Resolume from another sender, you can use unicast or broadcast, it doesn't matter.

Think of broadcast and unicast as a way to talk to person. Broadcast means shouting your message to everyone that can hear it. Unicasting means whispering it in one specific person's ear. In both cases, the specific person you're talking to is going to hear it.

When saying something, Resolume can currently only shout really loudly. For listening, it can hear everything you whisper in its ear, or shout to it.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

This is all good in theory but try the following setup on your end:

Set 3 faders in Luminair (let's say DMX 1, 2 & 3) to control three the opacity of three layers then set luminair to Unicast and pick Resolume. Faders move smootly 1, 2 or 3 at a time and I have fine control over the opacity level . Now set Luminair to Broadcast and try to move your faders. On my end I get some latency, jumpiness on the faders and I'm unable to set precise levels which goes away if I go back to Unicasting.

I'm on MBP Retina 15 inch Late 2013 using Arena 5.0.0 rev56268 and iPhone 6 using Luminair v 3.1 (1187)

Joris

Post by Joris »

So then why not use unicast from Luminair to send to each IP specifically?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Because you can't Unicast to multiple IP addresses.

Let's say you're trying to control Resolume (10.0.1.5) and an lighting rig with an Enttec ODE (10.0.1.200) using Luminair and also use Resolume to control the color of the LED fixture in the system on the Enttec ODE (10.0.1.200) and LED strips on a different Enttec ODE (10.0.1.201). Both Luminair and Resolume would need to Broadcast, correct?