New DMX MAP

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
inabox
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

New DMX MAP

Post by inabox »

Hi,

Would be possible to DMX map the Advanced Output Presets, and at the same time the Screen Slices?

A cue player with DMX map for both functions?

Let's say I have one Video Projector placed F.O.H. lot's of changes in set design and the mapping plays an important roll in the play. The only way I figure out, is doing this manual at advance output, but I doubt it would be easy if I need to sync it with light and sound.

Kind regards

JP

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: New DMX MAP

Post by DayVeeJay »

+1

I'd love to see this implemented through midi, osci or keyboard shortcuts as well. Think about the possibilities of doing bump maps with this technique!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

One of the workarounds is to:
- Create several Layer Routers at the top of your composition set to [Layers Below]
- Create multiple slices in Advanced output with the various Layer Routers as Inputs
- Then you can turn off all Layer Routers but one which will become your active map
- Make sure you select Input Opacity or Input Bypass/Solo in your slices to allow the Input to be turned off.
- Then you can map your Layer Routers to DMX

inabox

Post by inabox »

Hi Oaktown,

That's clever, a bit tricky, but could work. the limit would be your system capacity to handle layers before it drops bellow the 30FPS.

Let's say if possible and easy to implement the DMX/Midi auto map would be the way, what you think?

kind regards

JP

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Let's say if possible and easy to implement the DMX/Midi auto map would be the way, what you think?
This has been asked on the forum many times and I already know the answer to that question (even though I keep hoping for a different one :D ) so if I were you I would test the workaround I described or come up with an alternative one that works for you!

The other solution I've used on shows that require different maps is to use Resolume in combination with Madmapper using Syphon and to create presets in Madmapper that you can trigger using DMX/OSC/MIDI. I typically use OSC to control shows so I haven't tested DMX or MIDI. I will quite often use that setup in combination with Vezer to trigger columns in Resolume and presets in Madmapper off a timeline.

You can also control tons of parameters in Madmapper's Control List to create some animated mapping effects but that's part of a different thread in a different forum ;)

The combination of Resolume/Madmapper/Vezer can be very powerful so take a look at this video to give you a sense of what's feasible:
phpBB [video]

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

inabox wrote:That's clever, a bit tricky, but could work. the limit would be your system capacity to handle layers before it drops bellow the 30FPS.
non playing layers don't use gpu power, so that won't be an issue is you are using only one or two of the layer routers at a time.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

This has been asked on the forum many times and I already know the answer to that question
We go quite in depth into the answer in these following two topics.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13404&p=55097#p55097
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12671&p=51830#p51830

Inabox, I would love to hear your feedback on this, as you are exactly describing what I think is not the ideal solution to your problem.

inabox

Post by inabox »

With this aproach we lose the possability to change the output transformation presets, at least by control output, correct?

that's bad!

kind regards

JP

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps you could explain why you think our solution is bad?

Because if you read the threads, you'll see you actually gain the possibility to transform content in the composition, before it gets transformed in the advanced output. It's a bit of a different style of thinking, and maybe difficult to get your head around when you are very focused on the solution you have in your head.

inabox

Post by inabox »

Hi Joris,

in my last post I was responding to Ravensec, sorry.

I looked at all the topics you pointed, I can understand your concept guide line and I believe you are wright. I just keep thinking that at this time the tools are more on the side of the advanced output rather on the other side.

The workaround ideas given by Oaktown and Ravensc confirm this statment.

Taking your example from the Resolume manual, you confirm my limitacion, at the end when making the final ajustment at the venue you need to fine tune the mapping at the advanced output to adjust the image from the video projector to the fisical screen, now you just need to imagine that this setup, the set design as screen is going to change during performance, at this point we will need the advanced presets in action, and you need to recall them. if the machine is a standalone with out tech behind, the tech is at the lighting board giving cues during the show/play, the dmx auto map is the solution.

When using the resolume in fixture mode at the lighting desk, I have a profile for resolume arena introduced, one for the master and one for each layer I need to use (this could mean a limitation in number of parameters available at my lighting desk)
Then I record every lighting cue along with resolume parameters at the same time, I end up with a cue list for stage lighting and video. Programing moving-heads is exactely the same workflow you propose, I pre program every cue with presets like pan, tilt, zoom, blades, colors, go-bos etc... and when I reach the new venue I just need to fine tune each preset, I would like to do the same at resolume it's not asking to much, is it?

I know that basic tools like alpha, opacity, rotate x,y,z ; anchor and scale applied on a clip do a lot of the work,the same way you do at the advanced output but this could be not enough, the warp tool is not available for instance, is it?

I can imagine your disappointment every time people talk about this, but as you say try to get your head around and think on the great use of the New DMX Auto Map including the advanced output presets mapping! :D

any way thanks for the great software, and let me know what you think about.

Love

JP