Audio from sources

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Zoltán
Team Resolume

Audio from sources

Post by Zoltán »

Would it be possible to have the audio stream available in the sources clips just like if it was a regular video clip?

I can't remember this coming up in the feature requests,
many of us are using these blackmagic devices and others, where you get audio input from the device hardware wise,
so I thought having the audio stream available in the sources clip would simplify a lot of setups where you mix and map live video sources with audio, but are always connecting an external audio mixer just to have to mix in the video source's audio channel at the right time.

Could anyone use this?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Xogede
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Audio from sources

Post by Xogede »

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I would like to +1 this so much. We have recently purchased two Arena licenses and were very surprised to find this feature missing (shame on me, of course, for not doing enough research). Although it's always possible to work around such issues, this adds a lot of complexity to our setup. Even if it took a major update to enable this, we would buy it in a heartbeat, and I know several other people who would do the same.

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

What is a scenario you would use this feature in?
I acquire audio IN, in all of my setups from our A1 engineers mixer. He distributes the audio to where is needed. Why would you need to pass it through to another source?
You could use the monitor in an audio capture card to achieve this?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

You could use the video and audio in sync for example from external players, other computers, on-site camera sdi,etc and have only Resolume without an A/V mixer in the signal path.

We do a lot ad-hoc shows where people show up with powerpoint presentations, dvds and if there is no time to convert formats I could drop in the ppt into a windows laptop or drop the dvd in a player and just activate a clip in resolume to have both video and audio playing at the same time, that would save a lot of time and equipment.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

ah, you mean, use Resolume as the main audio out for a show. I guess I didn't think of it since our shows wouldn't call for that situation. We always have an audio/video package. :idea:
I capture powerpoints from the graphics station, but the audio is still sent through the audio mixer. We don't have any issues with audio sync, unless I am capturing a camera feed from the switcher with our BM cards.

I may not be understanding correctly, but even if you are coming straight out of Resolume to an audio system, wouldn't you go into a mixer? Unless you don't have the available inputs on the mixer?

I only see this as a useable situation if you are coming out of computer speakers. :geek:

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

cvanhoose wrote: I capture powerpoints from the graphics station, but the audio is still sent through the audio mixer. We don't have any issues with audio sync, unless I am capturing a camera feed from the switcher with our BM cards.
I may not be understanding correctly, but even if you are coming straight out of Resolume to an audio system, wouldn't you go into a mixer? Unless you don't have the available inputs on the mixer?
yes, but there is the question of syncing the sound guy who has already a lot to do, to slide that pot at the right time. :)

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Zoltán wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2016 21:58 Would it be possible to have the audio stream available in the sources clips just like if it was a regular video clip?

I can't remember this coming up in the feature requests,
many of us are using these blackmagic devices and others, where you get audio input from the device hardware wise,
so I thought having the audio stream available in the sources clip would simplify a lot of setups where you mix and map live video sources with audio, but are always connecting an external audio mixer just to have to mix in the video source's audio channel at the right time.

Could anyone use this?
Would like to add a +1 to this, or at the least, have the ability to have the external FFT audio show up as a clip (audio layer router), so you could add VST's to that source then have other parameters in the comp sync to the comp audio.
Or better yet, have the FFT have it's own panel and add VST's into that.

How much of a pain would this be?

Having this ability would eliminate a Touch Designer app I build for multiband audio freq's to OSC, now that I could add some dope VST's to essentially do the same thing.

And.... if you're wanting to revamp the FFT system, Maybe have an incoming FFT source and then have a virtual splitter installed in the FFT panel, where you can choose x amount of FFT out's. Think of it as a Y cable. this side get's a LPF and that side gets a gate and limiter, and the 4th, 5th, and 6th split get's a custom EQ. Then you can choose in your animation selection which FFT out you want to use for animations.

Would LOVE to see this happen, just not sure how much of a pain it would be.

Sorry to dig up a old thread, but it saves a re-post ;)

dradutu
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by dradutu »

+1
and this way i guess we could also use the audio waveform from that input as well, which btw at the moment only works in preview, so if i want to use it in the output i must route it to an effect which uses the preview as input. please consider this as a feature request as well