Composition optimization

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Composition optimization

Post by Oaktown »

It would be great to have an option built into the software that would automatically optimize all the media in the comp to the DXV3 codec. One would get the option to encode in normal or high quality and the alpha channel would be retained for all media with alpha. Ideally there would be an the option to collect all new files to a new folder similar to Ravensc's CompCollector feature.

I understand that this wouldn't work great for VJ work but this would be an amazing addition for those of us who build comps for theatrical productions and art exhibits.

willjamrod
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Composition optimization

Post by willjamrod »

+1

Super handy and time saving feature

Sadler
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Sadler »

Wouldn't this assume that you build a composition with less than optimal media - large images and video with lots of deltas? Many deliberately avoid doing this because of stability as well as performance.

Certainly NLEs, 3D and other software allow multi-layer baking. I guess you could also bake in effects to optimise further (losing reactivity and interactivity though). I think non-real-time recording to DVX may have been requested before. Comp optimisation would be a more selective, batched extension of that feature request.

Another feature of NLEs is background optimisation - but users never get access to the optimised file since they are purely to improve interactivity in the editing phase.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Wouldn't this assume that you build a composition with less than optimal media - large images and video with lots of deltas? Many deliberately avoid doing this because of stability as well as performance.
I personally always optimize my comps but it's a bid harder when you work with a team of designer. So having the ability to throw in any media and hit an optimize feature either on the clip or at the comp level that would do the work in the background would be a huge time saver.

I like the idea to bake in effects but that's already almost available with the record function except it doesn't record in DXV3 and it's difficult to time the beginning of a clip or column trigger recording without using a third party controller.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We've been thinking about offering the option to auto-encode media when an unoptimised codec has been detected for a long time. It would be a great way for both noobs to get their torrented avi files to play, as well as for pros to make sure they've not missed a file accidentally.

The biggest hurdle is that we need a place to store the converted file. Just throwing it next to the source feels messy. We're leaning towards a iTunes like approach, where on import, files can be automatically transferred (and optimized if desired) to a common Resolume media folder.

This would also greatly benefit other media management tools like collect & gather and the relocate feature.