Ideas Ideas Ideas!

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
projectneptune
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Ideas Ideas Ideas!

Post by projectneptune »

This is hands down my favorite piece of software these days, and its a wonderful tool.

However, here is a list of items that would be extremely handy!

1.) Multi-Channel Audio routing for surround sound setups. This would be extremely powerful when connected with Ableton Live, or to a digital mixing console.

2.) Drawable automation fades for audio and video that would allow for dynamic control of attributes within a clip. I.e. volume, opacity, effects etc...)

3.) Fades/transition between clips that don't influence an entire layer. Would be great if you could fade/transition between a specific set of clips within a layer without having to set the transition for the entire layer.

4.) GO BUTTON. Midi mappable advance column forward and backward buttons.

5.) Improved column, clip, and fader labeling/organization systems. It would be great to be able to label a column. Solid colors should match the actual color they are, rather than defaulting to red. Would be great if all faders (i.e layer A, AV, V) had visible numeric values for more precise mixing/cuing.

6.) Midi mapping list so one can find midi conflicts within programming/debugging.

7.) Trigger delays which allow for precise syncing of clips of varying durations.

8.) UNDO Button for clip deletion.

9.) Copy Clip Attributes/ Paste clip attributes. (similar to paste attributes in Final Cut Pro) This would copy all transform information, all effects information, and all transport information and make it paste-able to any clip(s).

10.) Decibel meter for audio.

11.) Composition Master pause/play fast forward and rewind controls that controls all currently playing media. This would be very helpful in a rehearsal setting.

Thanks for making an amazing program. I look forward to seeing what comes next!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Ideas Ideas Ideas!

Post by Joris »

Thanks for sharing your list, projectneptune.

I'm happy to say that most of what you mention is on our roadmap.

And number 11 is already possible! You can find the global speed and direction controls by choosing View → Show Layer Transport Controls, they then appear in the top left of the interface.

https://resolume.com/manual/en/r5/compo ... n_controls

lightbx

Post by lightbx »

Please allow me to tack onto this thread and mention three more ideas. The order is what I imagine would be from "easiest" to "hardest." (Please correct me if I am wrong. I am only an amateur programmer.)

1.) Updating "Solid Color" thumbnail to the ACTUAL HUE YOU HAVE SELECTED. Can't understate how helpful this would be for those of us who control DMX lights + Projections in Resolume (i.e. with a layer full of Solid Color clips routed to the Lumiverse)

2.) Similar to the decibel meter, SPECIFIC FREQUENCY RANGE for FFT inputs. If y'all managed to program L/M/H, you must have set certain cutoffs. I would love to be able to set those cutoffs in a text field, esp. for when I get to work with producers in advance and take a look at their Ableton sets.

3.) GROUPING LAYERS and NESTING THEM. I may have mentioned this before, but this thread - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13861 - got me thinking, in particular this quote from Joris on Layer Routers:
Composition effects work as follows: combine the pixels of layer 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 together, then apply the effect *once*, on that combined result.
Essentially, I would love to set a Layer Router to route a select group. Either in the Layer Router feature, be able to select a range (e.g. "Layers 1-5", "Layers 2-3"), or nesting a sequence of layers into a "Group," which could perhaps be its own layer, and then in the Layer Router I would select the group (e.g. Layer 5 - Group).

I have a sneaking suspicion that this last request would require some serious low-level programming and rewriting some of Resolume's core functions, interaction with OpenGL, etc. Would love to hear thoughts from the developers, just to get a better sense of how things work "under the hood."

Cheers!

SystemD

Post by SystemD »

lightbx wrote:Updating "Solid Color" thumbnail to the ACTUAL HUE YOU HAVE SELECTED. Can't understate how helpful this would be for those of us who control DMX lights + Projections in Resolume (i.e. with a layer full of Solid Color clips routed to the Lumiverse)
+1 !

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

+1 on that one as well.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Please allow me to tack onto this thread and mention three more ideas.
The good news is that most of your ideas are on the roadmap as well.
I have a sneaking suspicion that this last request would require some serious low-level programming and rewriting some of Resolume's core functions, interaction with OpenGL, etc. Would love to hear thoughts from the developers, just to get a better sense of how things work "under the hood."
Every new feature takes work. In this particular case, the OpenGL part is relatively straightforward (although Menno will probably disagree with that and would like to hit me with a big stick now). The hard part is following up every possible use case and option a huge new feature like this entails.

For example:
- What is the first layer in the group blended with?
- Does the group also have master opacity and volume?
- Does the group also have a blend mode?
- Does removing the group mean you delete all layers in it, or just ungroup them?
- What happens when you remove the last layer from the group?
- Does previewing a group mean you preview all layers in the group at full opacity, or just the group opacity at full?
- Does removing a column from the group also remove the entire column outside the group?
- Does the group also have a column trigger?
- What happens to assigned midi or keyboard shortcuts for the group when adding layers to the group?
- What happens when you assign one layer in the group to crossfader channel A and the group itself to crossfader channel B?
- What happens when you assign a layer router outside the group to a layer in the group?
- What happens when you assign a layer router inside the group to a layer outside the group?

And about a hundred other annoying little questions you don't think about when sitting in your chair thinking "You know what would be awesome? Layer groups! Yeah, man! You know, like, just some layers grouped together. Yeah, that'd be sweet!"

lightbx

Post by lightbx »

:o :shock: :? :geek: