OSC output when selecting composition

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Shaun
Is taking Resolume on a second date

OSC output when selecting composition

Post by Shaun »

Hi I have a little feature request..

I'm making an OSC app that links my ableton push and resolume. When I change layers, Resolume outputs the current values from the selected layers dashboard links. I've managed to utilize this nicely and wanted to have the same thing happen when selecting the entire composition. When doing this resloume only outputs "composition/select 1 " and "composition/select 0".

Could you make it so it works the same as layers please?

Thanks

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: OSC output when selecting composition

Post by Zoltán »

don't they get sent on composition open?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Shaun

Post by Shaun »

yeh, but the encoder on the push will be changing between layer dashboard links, activeclip links and composition links and i'd rather have resolume output the values rather than me store the values in the app on startup..

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

it would be so useful if we could send an osc message to any supported address with a string "?" for example to query the actual value, instead of waiting for an update...
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

Shaun

Post by Shaun »

That would also solve my issue. But it would be more convenient in my case to just send a "composition/select 1" rather than 8 query strings of "composition/linkX/values ?"

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

But it would be more convenient in my case to just send a "composition/select 1" rather than 8 query strings of "composition/linkX/values ?"
This is *the* question when it comes to how OSC should work. On the one hand, we have the people in camp "Oh ma gaah, Resolume sends sooooo many OSC messages, it's ridiculous. Just let me query the states I want already". On the other hand, we have the people in camp "Meh, just send me everything you got, I'll filter out what I need, when I need it."

In between, we have a camp of people that want all OSC output off by default, and selectively turn on just what they need.

The problem with the current approach is that you get a lot of 'garbage'. You're only interested in the dashboard dials, but besides the dashboard states, you receive states for each and every effect, parameter and cue point. That stuff adds up. On top of that, you get data for stuff that's not even relevant right now, like the speed value a parameter would have in timeline mode, even when it's set to BPM Sync.

The problem with the "selectively on" approach is that your OSC implementation becomes dependent on a specific Resolume config. You can't roll out an app to other users than yourself without also supplying a config file to go along with it.

The problem with the query approach is that if Resolume only responds on queries, that means you will constantly need to send queries, just to see whether value you need has changed. Plus it adds an extra step back and forth. Instead of getting a value when it updates, you need to figure out when you should query for that value, send the query, get the reply and only then can you act on it.

As you can see, none of them is really perfect. So we're going to try a mixture. For Resolume 6, we're cutting down a lot of the "garbage" in the OSC output. Hopefully that will solve a lot of problems for the "oh ma gaa, I can't handle so much OSC" camp. Also, as it looks now, we'll be adding the option to send queries on top of that. This will let you get the state you need, when you need it.

And to get back on topic, I will put in a ticket to make sure that we'll send out the composition state when it gets selected.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Joris wrote:As you can see, none of them is really perfect. So we're going to try a mixture. For Resolume 6, we're cutting down a lot of the "garbage" in the OSC output. Hopefully that will solve a lot of problems for the "oh ma gaa, I can't handle so much OSC" camp. Also, as it looks now, we'll be adding the option to send queries on top of that. This will let you get the state you need, when you need it.
exactly what I had in mind.

Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Resolume 6 is sounding great.. off topic, will there be many new soft edge features in arena (Colour correction using cameras maybe??).

Thanks for your help. The app I'm making is just for my work at the moment, but I have gone through the effort of programming the button LEDS and screen on the push, so I might put it up for free download when I'm done..

gsbe

Post by gsbe »

Interested to see how Resolume 6 will work with Ableton Push...any updates on that?