OSC/MIDI mapping the Mapping

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Yuckfou157
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: OSC/MIDI mapping the Mapping

Post by Yuckfou157 »

I'm kicking this one up as a Christmas present because last weekend I needed to get content on some slices and of from other ones while in other songs I wanted the slices to run along with the rest of the content, so I shut my face here, tried extensively with slice transform to achieve this but I couldn't and still don't know how to do this, so I'll try to go through this;
I had a set where the main screen was a setup with 7 slices, 3 portretshaped left, 1 square main and 3 portretshaped right, one wide banner above the stage and 2 long banners running along the balconies, can you imagine the setup? Good!
Now mapping the main image over al these screens isn't so hard, just dice and slice in the input and everything is in place.
Now, if I want to run a logo or text purely over the banners and not the main comp, I assign that layer to a separated slice, set it to A and put the crossfader to B, hence, the logo shows only on the right slice, now sometimes I want the main image to show on the banners (who are doubled slices from the ones assigned to A, but these are assigned to B as they have to show the main content..) but I cannot figure out how to "mute" those slices who show the main image when I don't want any content shown, or just the logo's from the doubled slices with no image behind it, until now to me the only way to do this is going into the advanced and click on or off those slices when I want them visible.

Now I probably oversee something, I don't understand something or I do something wrong, but after 5+ years of working with Resolume, hearing "no" several times asking for a way to switch them on/off via midi I really want to know how to do this. So merry Christmas everyone, I'm looking forward to explanations!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Aside from your slices being different sizes and layed out differently, how is your setup different from the example described in viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14079#p63790? In other words, what are you trying to do that you can't use the technique described there?

To me, it sounds like you just need a Slice Transform in Mask mode with all slices on the 'main image' layer and a Slice Transform in Fill mode with the banner slices on the 'logo' layer. Then again, in your example I also count 10 slices instead of 7, so obviously I must be missing something.

Yuckfou157

Post by Yuckfou157 »

hello Joris,

As you have been so kind to reply to me for the (I lost count) gazillionth time and still am so patient I tried to make an effort in screencaps to show you what I do and we'll see if this clears it a bit :)

This is the deck setup I used last weekend, bottom 3/4 layers are clips and FX used in the show on all screens, above, 5&6 are logo layers for the balcony banners (5) and the big one above the stage (6).
Now if I had used a cam input or chaser layer, those would come on top of these 6, nothing special so far I think? 5&6 are set to A on the Xfade, 1,2,3,4 all to B, this is how I get my logo's on the banners and not in he comp, now if I want to have a logo on the middle screen (slice 5) I would have put in an extra layer with an extra slice set to that layer and again the layer set to xfade A.
So Slices, This is the output map:
Bit different from your example, and the slices left and right from the center are hung differently with slice 3&7 (middle left&right small ones) hung high, and the others set on the stage, big one above is of course the banner above the stage, the small ones under are the balcony, but the pixelpitch is different, back 3.9, balcony 7.8curtain.
This is my input map for the comp slices, I don't use the whole image, that would be ugly, just a piece of it;
and this for the logo slices;
So working the show, a typical setting would be something like this;
What gives you this on the output;

Kinda white uh? yeah, that's my opinion too, but I have to work with the footage from the artist and would love to have that solo on the back screen with the banners just showing a logo until I want to burn retina's and use everything switched on.
So find attached the AVC, and I would love to read your comments sometime when you have time for this. A merry Christmas to you all!
Attachments
JeBroer4LifeXXL22122018.avc
(7.37 MiB) Downloaded 429 times

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

You’re doing some uncoventional offsetting on the y axis on those portraits, which will need some creative slicing. But your main problem of mixing on the banners is easily solved by using slice transforms and the technique I linked to earlier.

What happens when you stop using layer routing (sweet baby jeebus can we please just stop layer routing already) and make an input map to composite your output using slice transforms?

Yuckfou157

Post by Yuckfou157 »

Joris wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 00:18 You’re doing some uncoventional offsetting on the y axis on those portraits, which will need some creative slicing. But your main problem of mixing on the banners is easily solved by using slice transforms and the technique I linked to earlier.
What happens when you stop using layer routing (sweet baby jeebus can we please just stop layer routing already) and make an input map to composite your output using slice transforms?
I think we better leave it here, I have been freaking around with slice transform on every layer with all slices and every mode and I don't get what I want, I'll probably do something wrong but I can't get my head around it and whatever combination of slices, transforming and modes I choose I don't get the easy on/off switch I would like. So, I'll be switching them on/off in the advanced manually.
Thanks for your time, I'll probably come back to this one day....