Hardware USB dongle

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
JimmyP
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Hardware USB dongle

Post by JimmyP »

I have several machines I would like to use my copy of resolume on. it would be nice to carry around a license dongle and just plug it into the computer and it using that dongle and the registration license.
Jayme McColgan
Lighting Designer

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Hardware USB dongle

Post by Zoltán »

losing that dongle would screw up the evening gig pretty good.
here is a similar themed topic:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11567&hilit=ilok

I think having a piece of paper with your reg code in your wallet, and and internet connection is all you'd need,
and in the worst case you can tether internet from your phone.

For composition creation you can use a demo resolume, as all the functions work exactly as in the registered copy.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I am 100% anti dongle! Had to do that crap for pro tools and it sucked! You loose a usb port. If you loose the dongle your screwed. Much easier for me to just keep the registration info on file and just swap registration as needed.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I'm in agreement with Dinga and Ravensc as I find dongles to be annoying as well.

If you're dealing with multiple media servers, it might be time to invest into a second license of Resolume if you find that the deregistration /registration process for you. Most companies that offer the option for a dog charger pretty hefty fee for that "convenience"

Warspite
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Warspite »

Dongle is a bad idea. Especially when you forgot it in home country a couple of thousands miles away.
Resolume lets you to have registered version on couple of machines (i dont know how much exactly, but i recently unregistered Resolume from old notebook (forgot about it) while having registered version on main machine).
Not to use them simultaneously is up to you and your conscience.
Resolume team is very loyal to customers.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Yeah, I have 1 license on 2 machines, this is done for every license I own. The second machine is only a redundant back and isn't in use unless i manually swap output cables in the back. Thankfully I have yet to use my backups, but it's a nice safety net to have. Hoping no one abuses this.

HarryLoop
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by HarryLoop »

...interesting. but there is another option.
There is an interesting software under the Flexihub, it is interesting that with the help of it you can have access to USB devices via the internet at any distance.
https://www.flexihub.com/share-usb-dongle.html
I think this option can also be tested. Or maybe someone already tried something like that?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

HarryLoop wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 07:31 ...interesting. but there is another option.
There is an interesting software under the Flexihub, it is interesting that with the help of it you can have access to USB devices via the internet at any distance.
I think this option can also be tested. Or maybe someone already tried something like that?
Wouldn't the point of an USB dongle be that you don't need internet to keep Resolume registered?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

HarryLoop

Post by HarryLoop »

Zoltán wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:06
HarryLoop wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 07:31 ...interesting. but there is another option.
Wouldn't the point of an USB dongle be that you don't need internet to keep Resolume registered?
Well, if without the Internet, then yes, the dongle will be a very convenient option. But there is such a moment that if the key is needed on several clients, then you can connect the dongle on the same machine and other clients will be able to connect and activate at a distance, not using the dongle constantly on each machine separately. This is of course if the key allows multiple devices to have access.
I suggested this as one of the options for manipulating Resolume.

jeffdodge

Post by jeffdodge »

Makes no sense. If you have to have internet to share the dongle remotely, why even bother getting a dongle in the first place since the default licensing just needs access to the internet every 30 days; by using a remote dongle you would need to have internet access to even use the remote dongle. If you want to use the software on multiple computers just buy extra licenses instead of trying to defeat the licensing. The developers at Resolume work hard to make a good product.