Clip Color Tagging

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
LtRice
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Clip Color Tagging

Post by LtRice »

This is the only feature that's holding me back in Resolume. I'm using a 4x4 beatpad controller and want to tag my clips by color so I know in what group it's in on my controller. That way I know that I.E. all the orange clips are in group 2, so I don't need to guess my clip. I read in an older post that Resolume support said they were picky about their color scheme, but I think that's a bullshit excuse to not try and design a crucial and simple feature into their software that can have more professional use if they would help out in simple feature requests.

Color tagging like in Ableton.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Clip Color Tagging

Post by Oaktown »

I read in an older post that Resolume support said they were picky about their color scheme, but I think that's a bullshit excuse to not try and design a crucial and simple feature into their software that can have more professional use if they would help out in simple feature requests.
Welcome the forum LtRice! As a head's up, this is a friendly user forum, so your opinion will be heard much better if you have a more constructive approach especially on your first post!

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Clip Color Tagging

Post by Arvol »

^ I'd second that a well...
You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar

Are you wanting to color code your controller or your composition?
(i.e. all your orange clips are in layer 2, or all your orange clips are in column 2, while all your red clips are in layer 3 and or all your red clips are in column 3?)
Without knowing exactly what you are wanting to accomplish I can't really point you in the right direction?
Are you organizing clips by actual clip color (red moving background, or an orange exploding sun?) or are you clip colors just a form of grouping?

I personally build Decks around like-styled clips. (If you buy a VJ pack from this site, you would probably want to keep all of those clips grouped together as they play well with each other)

There are many ways to accomplish this in Resolume. You can group by Layer, Column, or Deck.
I personally use the Deck method as it keeps my work space much less cluttered.
Either way, knowing your workspace would be a great suggestion, to minimize any guesswork.
Having a massive deck with all your red clips in layer 1 (resulting in 120+ clips in that layer) would mean you would be scrolling a lot to find the clip you're after (same goes for the column, you would just be scrolling horizontally rather than vertically at this point), But this would also avoid the 3-5 sec delay of switching decks.
Or you could have multiple decks for said clips and could fit most of those clips in your default view without scrolling.

In regards to color coding your controller (if in fact that's what your after) that is more on the controller side for support. I personally use Bomes for this on my Akai controlllers. My Midi Fighters come with their own app to do this for me.

So what is it exactly you are wanting to accomplish? What are you clips you are trying to group and what is the purpose of the grouping? Maybe we can brainstorm to find a working solution for you.