keyboard shortcut option for hardware interface

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
digital:snot
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

keyboard shortcut option for hardware interface

Post by digital:snot »

Hey Res. Team,
Currently I am in the final stages of completing a custom Resolume interface. IT will be USB, not midi so it will handle certain major Resolume tasks and better compliment my midi boards.
It is based on keyboard shortcuts.

With your addition of the RGB channel options I just HAD to re-work the layout to fit these in.

I wonder if it is at all possible to release a next version
with separate R G B and "reset CH" keyboard shortcut option for each of the 3 layers.
I can assign them myself of course.

Could you let me know if I could count on this addition in a future release so that I can know if I need to change my layout before I get it made?
Hoping to start production within a week for a large late-April gig.

Even if It can't be done by then, a yes or no on if it will be included will be enough so I can keep or change the interface.
Thanx a bunch
Res is the greatest!
Attachments
resolume_custom_keyboard.jpg
resolume_custom_keyboard.jpg (89.16 KiB) Viewed 18020 times

VJzoo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by VJzoo »

that look very cool :)

any idea on the cost of the unit?

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

hi digital:snot,

we will add the shortcuts in the next version.

cheers
edwin

VJ555
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by VJ555 »

that looks way cool................................were oh were can we can one? Wil u be selling it?

Sense

Post by Sense »

Digital:snot this really looks awesome! Is it for real or a graphic? Are you planning on inserting parameter value control also?

Cheers,

Niels / Sense

thanx edwin!

trying to keep picture size down so tell me if these pictures are to large for the forum.

the picture I attached is the concept graphic.
It will be real in about a month.

price is gonna come to around $400 US
not massively expensive considering the money I have wasted trying to find the "perfect controller" ;)
leave knobs and sliders for the BCF2000 and BCR2000 this will help me be better organized in the button area.

when the whole unit is completed I'll post a whole breakdown of how well it works, and how you can do it or similar. all the tedious details and some actual pictures.

I am not an electronics guru, just a media designer so that is good news for most of us! :)

here a topical breakdown of the layout.

(pardon the over simplification of the explanations)
Attachments
resolume_keyboard_layout.jpg
resolume_keyboard_layout.jpg (185.88 KiB) Viewed 17998 times

levon
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by levon »

where did you get the XY pad from and how is it used? is it midi? or mouse?

Sense

Post by Sense »

Digital:snot I understand your perspective, making the resolume interface more / faster accessible through a hardware interface. I can give your design a review with a friend of mine who is also a Interaction designer, so hopefully we can give you some usefull feedback.

For now:

- The select/clear of decks, perhaps you should move the clear below channel selection button, is perhaps a bit flaw-sensitive ;)

- A clear channelFX button would be awesome, perhaps even disable / clear within the channel buttons area?

- Clear / disable General FX ?

Will have a closer look at it shortly, awesome project!

Good luck,

Niels / Sense

[Edited on 31-3-2005 by Sense]

Hey Levon,

The xy pad is mouse is a mouse input. I will not being using it for the mouse exclusively, but I felt a touuch pad coupled with mouse track fx slider would give resolume a bit of a "Korg Entrancer" feel...

Hey Sense,

Thanx for the input...
"- The select/clear of decks, perhaps you should move the clear below channel selection button, is perhaps a bit flaw-sensitive"

I kept going back and forth with this. The way you mentioned is more technically accurate to resolume. I ended up putting the clip buttons full on the bottom so that in performance I wouldn't HAVE to look at my hand and I could be sure that the bottom right corner would always only trigger a clip ... (sometimes I am a sloppy VJ) :)
Basically putting it there would make it so I would know exactly where the limits of the clip trigger area are... (ie 2 of them defined by the borders of the unit) without looking...

"- A clear channelFX button would be awesome, perhaps even disable / clear within the channel buttons area?

- Clear / disable General FX ?"

I can't recall seeing those as options in the keystroke dialog option... Originally I wanted to have the layout based on just what was available. (didn't want to contribute to the Bart/Edwin "Gimme list". : )
Personally I used the 3 global effects more than the per layer effects, but the confines of keystrokes options and the fact I had to decide on making the hardware interface be only about individual layers and not global effects. (just due to the real estate of the working surface.) So I designed the "logic" of this interface to be layer driven... not global driven. It really has to be used with a midi controller, make sense? ;) (oooo bad pun)

there are 11 "Blank" areas... this will accommodate effects or better unforeseen control... because of the limitations of the keypad grid I had to design over, I wouldn't be able to put them in the channel buttons area.
It's funny... thi whole projected started as just getting the 5x4 touchpad grid down cuz NO midi controller offered it.. : )

the button interface is:
9.75 inches(247mm) by 7.50 inches (191mm)

thanks for the input!
sorry about the double post. not sure how it happened.
later

[Edited on 31-3-2005 by digital:snot]

juba

Post by juba »

nice :) looks really good, though i think the buttons are a bit to close to each other. i don't know how the buttons will feel, offcource it is good when you spill drinks and so on, but there is no real tacticle feedback... i completed a test interface with 45 buttons, used a different layout, i'll post a picture soon... can't wait to see the controller when it's finished :)