R6 ArtNet to Localhost

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
mfo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

R6 ArtNet to Localhost

Post by mfo »

To sum up a lengthy discussion about looping-back ArtNet inside one's computer (viewtopic.php?p=62734):

It would be great if R6 could send ArtNet to Localhost/IP 127.0.0.1, or at least IP 127.255.255.255 (which works in R5.1.4).

Thanks!

mfo

Re: R6 ArtNet to Localhost

Post by mfo »

Any hope? Just tested R6b3, still nothing.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

It's coming in the next beta.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

mfo

Post by mfo »

Just played with R6.0.1 and its not working, sadly.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

In the meantime, at this point, all you need is to do is have be connected to a network adapter (WIFI or wired) and use your own IP address to create a localhost relationship. I can make that work on my MacBook Pro in and out no problems.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Just played with R6.0.1 and its not working, sadly.
I just tried outputting to Artnetominator via localhost on 6.0.1, and it's working just fine.
localhost.png
There's a lot more to Art-Net than just setting up a IP and port, and if one application does things just a little different from what the other application expects, chances are it's not going to work.

As far as we're concerned, Art-Net data is leaving on the selected interface. That another application is not picking it up is out of our hands.

mfo

Post by mfo »

Hi Joris,
thanks for the screenshot - this is not working for me.
Screenshot (25).jpg
But in any case you used broadcasting. This won't work in any bigger network environment, you will simply spam every ArtNet node around. Hence the request of this thread, send ArtNet to Localhost/IP 127.0.0.1 explicitly. (Or use localhost-broadcasting to 127.255.255.255, which works in R5.1.4.)
Screenshot (26).jpg
@Oaktown That does work of course, but defies the point of this thread. If I use my network-adapters IP for "local hosting" then this ArtNet data is send out into the world. But instead I want to loop it back locally, refine it in another software, and then output it through my network-adapter.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

But in any case you used broadcasting. This won't work in any bigger network environment, you will simply spam every ArtNet node around.
I know. This is broadcasting on the localhost adapter, which will all resolve to 127.0.0.1
localhost.PNG

mfo

Post by mfo »

Ah, right! I was under the assumption that in R6 everything under prefs refers to DMX input, while DMX output happens in the Advanced Output settings entirely.
Well, I guess I should've better RTFM.

mfo

Post by mfo »

Btw. to beam R6's Artnet DMX output to QLC+, it still requires IP 127.255.255.255 instead of Broadcasting. God knows why. Won't show in Artnetominator then...