DMX Layer Patch

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
mattsmithadelaide
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

DMX Layer Patch

Post by mattsmithadelaide »

Hi there,

Would be super cool if you could assign a layer to a DMX channel and then it's capable of launching 256 clips from DMX values 0-255 on a single channel similar to the way Resolume 5 was done.

Without this you're stuck using close to a whole universe to just launch a normal show

Thankyou!

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: DMX Layer Patch

Post by drazkers »

mattsmithadelaide wrote:Hi there,

Would be super cool if you could assign a layer to a DMX channel and then it's capable of launching 256 clips from DMX values 0-255 on a single channel similar to the way Resolume 5 was done.

Without this you're stuck using close to a whole universe to just launch a normal show

Thankyou!
This still works. I've been triggering two layers and my columns from 3 cues stacks based off 3 channels for months on R6.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

https://resolume.com/support/en/keyboar ... -shortcuts

Tip! A super special secret group shortcut is hidden in front of the clip triggers. It's revealed when you enter MIDI, OSC or DMX shortcut mode. When you assign a shortcut to this, you can trigger all the clips in that layer with a single control. For instance, assigning a MIDI will let you trigger clip 1 through 128 by sending different values on that same CC. The same goes for clips 1 through 255 on a single DMX Channel, or clips 1 through infinity on the same OSC address.

synapse_gh
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by synapse_gh »

Thanks to a bit of help from drazkers, I've got this up and running, but honestly I'm not understanding why it was necessary to break this functionality? For those of us who rarely (or never) VJ, and use Arena as a cue-to-cue concert media server, it's pretty frustrating to have to go through and manually re-build something that worked well all along.

I'm not knocking the Lumiverse workspace, it's been very useful to us in the past, but I'd love to know why the concept of a standard console fixture profile was made unavailable in R6?

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

synapse_gh wrote:Thanks to a bit of help from drazkers, I've got this up and running, but honestly I'm not understanding why it was necessary to break this functionality? For those of us who rarely (or never) VJ, and use Arena as a cue-to-cue concert media server, it's pretty frustrating to have to go through and manually re-build something that worked well all along.

I'm not knocking the Lumiverse workspace, it's been very useful to us in the past, but I'd love to know why the concept of a standard console fixture profile was made unavailable in R6?
As I see it, The whole midi, osc, dmx system was redone so it doesn’t work the same way. Yes you gotta put alittle work in but you should be thinking of your comp file for R6 as an extension of your show file. You gotta remember you are using VJ software. Not something like mbox which is made for LDs.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We go into why the auto-map was removed here: https://resolume.com/support/en/dmx-sho ... map-preset

Long story short, because a Resolume composition is not a fixed thing, any automap we make can only cover a small part of the functionality. And those won't even be the interesting parts.

If the automap was serving you well before, chanches you were only actually using 5 or 6 channels out of it. Recreating that is a one-time thing that will take you an hour if you've never made a custom profile before. If you know what you're doing it will take you all of two minutes.

And I'm pretty sure you will add one or two channels to control stuff that wasn't available before and your shows will be better because of that.

rolandmc

Post by rolandmc »

Count me as another LD frustrated with the loss of the DMX auto-map. Please re-consider bringing it back.

I think it's really cool to be able to customize the map in such detail, but to not be able to have a standard template to go off of is likely to cause issues, especially since I'm programming lighting primarily and video secondarily. Obviously, for gigs with an intricate video design, we'll have a video operator. But, I do gigs where I control a lot of lighting and use a fair amount of Resolume features straight from my MA2 (I use about 1/2 to 2/3s of the auto-map).

What if I expect to only be using two layers for a gig only to arrive and find out I need four? Well now I have to go spend extra time on the day of show mapping out the new layers and making sure that I do it in exactly the same order as I mapped out the first two with no mistakes (because of the way we patch layers as separate fixtures on lighting consoles).

Now, what if I find out that I need to use a layer attribute on this gig that I normally don't use? Well, I now have to clear out the map for ALL layers and start from scratch. Again, this is because of the way we patch on the lighting console. No, we don't have to patch it that way, but it is extremely useful to have each layer be considered a separate "fixture" in the console (this way I can VERY easily use the effects generator on the lighting console apply to resolume layers as well). It's also the industry standard way to do it, so it's familiar to LDs.

I'm about to do a gig with about 500 lighting fixtures and a bunch of Martin VDO Sceptrons which I am going to pixel map with Resolume. I'm not going to have time to spend re-mapping R6 if some situation comes up that I don't expect as I have my hands full with lighting. I'm going to stay on R5.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

rolandmc wrote:Count me as another LD frustrated with the loss of the DMX auto-map. Please re-consider bringing it back.

I think it's really cool to be able to customize the map in such detail, but to not be able to have a standard template to go off of is likely to cause issues, especially since I'm programming lighting primarily and video secondarily. Obviously, for gigs with an intricate video design, we'll have a video operator. But, I do gigs where I control a lot of lighting and use a fair amount of Resolume features straight from my MA2 (I use about 1/2 to 2/3s of the auto-map).

What if I expect to only be using two layers for a gig only to arrive and find out I need four? Well now I have to go spend extra time on the day of show mapping out the new layers and making sure that I do it in exactly the same order as I mapped out the first two with no mistakes (because of the way we patch layers as separate fixtures on lighting consoles).

Now, what if I find out that I need to use a layer attribute on this gig that I normally don't use? Well, I now have to clear out the map for ALL layers and start from scratch. Again, this is because of the way we patch on the lighting console. No, we don't have to patch it that way, but it is extremely useful to have each layer be considered a separate "fixture" in the console (this way I can VERY easily use the effects generator on the lighting console apply to resolume layers as well). It's also the industry standard way to do it, so it's familiar to LDs.

I'm about to do a gig with about 500 lighting fixtures and a bunch of Martin VDO Sceptrons which I am going to pixel map with Resolume. I'm not going to have time to spend re-mapping R6 if some situation comes up that I don't expect as I have my hands full with lighting. I'm going to stay on R5.
What console do you use?
I have a solution for MA.
I might get around to Avo in a week or so if I can get a break.

On a side note, those Sceptrons suuuuuuck!!! Martin way over complicated them.
For the price, these are a pretty solid unit.
Good news is, Brad with Martin is your man if you need help figuring out the Sceptron media server to pixel map.

rolandmc

Post by rolandmc »

What console do you use?
I use MA2. I'm interested: What's your solution??

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

rolandmc wrote:
What console do you use?
I use MA2. I'm interested: What's your solution??
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15541