30 Day License Limit => installation killer

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Cosmiclab
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

30 Day License Limit => installation killer

Post by Cosmiclab »

Resolume 6 now requires us to re-register every 30 days. This really isn't an option for us.
Many of our installation PCs have to stay offline, and are situated in various far flung cities. We can't ask our clients to do offline registration, and traveling to those locations every month just to do this is going to cost us money and time.
We understand why the new license system works this way, but surely there must be another option?!
"Just use Resolume 5" is the advice we got from support, which kinda sucks, and isn't a future proof option.
Does this issue effect anyone else? If so please make it known, maybe Resolume will come up with another option in the future....

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: 30 Day License Limit => installation killer

Post by Joris »

We understand this change is problematic for anyone using Resolume in an installation environment.

We made this change after long and hard deliberation.

On the v5 licensing system, we deal with about 20 people every week that can no longer use their license because the computer was broken, lost, stolen or any number of other reasons. Often we can still help them, but sometimes the license is lost forever. As you can understand, this is a huge problem, especially when its beyond the control of both parties.

By making the license time based, the state of the computer becomes irrelevant. We're aware that this makes Resolume less suitable for installation work. At this point in time, that is a drawback we've chosen to accept, in favour of helping people that cannot use their license at all.

Hopefully, somewhere down the line, we can offer a different solution. This could take the form of a dongle system, or a long term installation model that is less flexible in case of computer malfunction. For now, this is how it is though.

I hope this helps you to at least understand the situation and our decision.

sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by sleepytom »

A dongle option would be *really* great :)

i'd be happy to pay an additional €100 - €150 per dongle. This would easily cover the hardware expense and the "donglification" process is easy to manage from a development point of view. We used to use HASP for VJamm Pro, it's a great solution and would give an option of internet free usage which is very important for some use cases.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

sleepytom wrote:A dongle option would be *really* great :)

i'd be happy to pay an additional €100 - €150 per dongle. This would easily cover the hardware expense and the "donglification" process is easy to manage from a development point of view. We used to use HASP for VJamm Pro, it's a great solution and would give an option of internet free usage which is very important for some use cases.
I think a dongle *option* would be great.
Completely moving to a dongle would be a nightmare for me.
I personally will never use an application again (outside my studio) that requires a dongle.
Touring as an audio engineer, having iLok's damaged and broken was a nightmare! They also eat-up a USB port, when typically, I'm already at my limit (I rather not use Hubs)
For remote install applications, this could be a good solution. For the other 90% of the users, I think it would be more of a headache.
Just my 2 cents :)

Warspite

Post by Warspite »

No dongle, please! Only as an option.
I prefer to keep server away from internet too, but it is not a big problem to share connection from phone for 1 minute. All your expenses - 1 usb wi-fi dongle.

sleepytom

Post by sleepytom »

you guys understand what the word option means right?

Warspite

Post by Warspite »

Yeah. We know how fast an option turns into the only one option. :lol:

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

+1 for the dongle option

dbassix

Post by dbassix »

I will just not offer R6 to my customers anymore.
An Online Registration System every 30days for a mediaserver in an installation is an absolutly NO GO! And tell the customer to do the offline reg every month is not pro!

Just think about somebody is forced to write a crack, you just make them live easier as for the people that bought the licenses for a lot of money.

I will not recommend Resolume 6 anymore as long as there is no way for a permanent registration.
And just look at the orher PRO Systems like catalyst, watchout, d3. All using hardware dongles! We even have iit on our light desks (E:Cue) and there was never an issue with it.

BTW, somebody told me, setting back the system date will reenable the 30days period. Haven‘t checked that, but if this works - real copy protection is different in my opinion!

Cosmiclab
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Cosmiclab »

+1 for dongle option
sorry to see we're not the only people finding the 30 day limit an issue for our work. But glad it means others are interested in finding a solution.