30 Day License Limit => installation killer

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
PERCYJOSEPH
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: 30 Day License Limit => installation killer

Post by PERCYJOSEPH »

This 30 days license limit will be disastrous for the people like us who take out our machines abroad for shows and in most cases we won't get access to Internet so easily as we are on a temporary stay there for a day or two and on the day of the show we open the machine and find the license missing then it is the end. Please in such cases give an option where we people who depend mainly on resolume as our playback system to manually extend the licenses to 2 more days by selecting some buttons on the software side.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

real copy protection is different in my opinion!
At the risk of repeating myself, this change is not supposed to make it harder to crack Resolume. Resolume 6 is still available as a crack two days after we release an update, just like 5 was. A crack works by circumventing the registration check altogether, so it doesn't care if you go online or not.

This change is meant to *help* people that have a legal version, but lost their license, their computer or both. Right now, I have two people in our inbox that lost their computer or don't know on which computer their license number is being used. This means they have a legal version that they paid for, but can't access. And we can't help them, because according to our system, it's already in use. How would you feel if you were in their place?

In the new system, they press two buttons and they have their license back. We feel it's a perfectly acceptable trade-off that you need to phone home once in a while, if it means that you don't lose what you paid for altogether. Just because it's never happened to you, doesn't mean it's not a real problem that we have to provide a solution for.
for the people like us who take out our machines abroad for shows and in most cases we won't get access to Internet so easily as we are on a temporary stay there for a day or two
At this point, Resolume has been telling you for the last two weeks that the license is about to expire. Even the crappy airport wifi in China can renew your registration in 10 seconds.

Raymondwai
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Raymondwai »

Hi
No...No...No...Please no 30 Days License limit...It is horrible for us to installation,need register again before go to the work site is not good.Not every site can connect to internet.Many Theatre block the signal.I Love Resolume Arena,and ready upgrade to 6,but this system is holding me....Please don't....

Please don't.....

Ray.

dbassix
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by dbassix »

Joris, i agree with you in the case you lost your license. But to be honest, how many people actually lose their license and why? Do they not take care about their resolume machines? And how can somebody forget where it was installed?

I think your pushing more people in trouble, that you help others.

I have 2 installations coming up this year, where absolutely is no internet connection and the servers have to run as a blackbox. If theres no change in the license system, than i must say "bye bye resolume". Sorry guys, loved your work so far, but thats a real big CON for your software.

Provide dongles for the users that have longterm installs!!!!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

How about the option to buy a version of the software that is for long term installations where the license works the same way it did for version five and the only way to transfer your license is to unregister at that computer.

Personally, I love the new system and I would hate to see it go away! We shuffle a lot of media servers at the warehouse and having the ability to unregister servers that are not online is saving us hundreds of dollars every month in crew cost.

Also, a few months ago I had one of those servers stolen from a venue and all I had to do was unregister Onuline do you regain access to that license. A lot of other software is we’re not as flexible and I had to get on the phone with customer service and provide a police report which was a lengthy process in most cases.

Cosmiclab

Post by Cosmiclab »

I agree the new license system is very convenient for the standard use case, and we use it like this too. I'd prefer not to have to deal with dongles. The old system worked fine for installations. So maybe we could have the option at purchase of which type of licensing we want; Online license (new system) or fixed to PC licence (old system). I'm sure 99% of Resolume customers would choose the Online License, and those of us who choose the fixed to PC license would do so knowing the risks involved, and how to mitigate them.
Our company would buy both types of license, depending on the job.

Cosmiclab

Post by Cosmiclab »

is there no way to do offline registration before a license expires? With an offline PC, we thought we'd be able to at least do the offline registration process using the new registration system, but the offline registration button isn't visible, not even unregister button, just a warning about the registration about to run out...
registration.jpg
Is offline registration only available once a license is not registered or becomes out of date? We need to be able to renew the license before it runs out.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

If you want to renew an offline registration, you'll need to delete the registration.avr file from

Mac: Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Resolume Avenue 6/registration
Windows: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Resolume Avenue 6\registration

Raymondwai

Post by Raymondwai »

''those of us who choose the fixed to PC license would do so knowing the risks involved, and how to mitigate them.''.Totally agree that point.Furthermore ,write down the register code is the responsibility of the user.

So no 30 Days pls...

Ray.

crv74
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by crv74 »

As a touring Gig user i don't like dongles, i've foghting with them since Cubase, also on Watchout and other, and even they work 99% of the times, that 1% will just fuck up "your" live show at the worse moment possible.

So i undestand and backup the dongle option or maybe a special licence for fixed installations that don't need to be renewed and can NOT be recovered, if the 30 day renew one is for that reason (among some others).

In that way you can sell, install fixed licences for unnatended disconnected computers and the one like we're using right now for Gigs and when 10 seconds of internet can be granted every 30 days (that is more than reasonable for me)

As a note on dongle things: a friend that is musician and composer have the Cubase suite since 1.5 or so, always full legal, but he ended using the craked versions because of the dongle hangs, bsods and shit involved.

Those are my two cents.