Blend Modes: Clips vs. Layers - Opacity Levels

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Blend Modes: Clips vs. Layers - Opacity Levels

Post by pfelberg »

Hello.
I wish clip's opacity value could respect the clip's blend mode and work the same as each layer's fader does.

If you play a clip with a specific blend mode set on its properties, the blend mode will show up on the layer blend type with an * meaning the clip has its own blend mode on usage. So, you move the layer's fader and the clip's blend mode is applied. But you still need to set the layer fader to the desired value amount.
If you consider playing a column with 4 or 5 clips, it will take a few seconds to set all layers fading to the desired value
Opacity level on each clip properties does not do that. It just fades in/out the clip content without considering the clip blend mode.
I wish I could play a column content so the composition would look exactly as previously designed, meaning fader levels could be auto transfered and updated from each clip opacity value previously set on it's properties. The same done with blend modes.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Blend Modes: Clips vs. Layers - Opacity Levels

Post by Joris »

That was the behaviour we had on 5 and which results in this bug: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14159

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Joris wrote:That was the behaviour we had on 5 and which results in this bug: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14159
Got you. The bug refered on that topic no longer exists, so far I tested here.
I assume that you mean that what I suggested was in fact at place back then and since removed the bug is gone. Correct?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Exactly.

When Resolume would take the clip opacity as a multiplier for the layer opacity (which is what you're suggesting), a clip set to 0% opacity would become visible during a transition from a clip with 100% opacity.

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Joris wrote:Exactly.

When Resolume would take the clip opacity as a multiplier for the layer opacity (which is what you're suggesting), a clip set to 0% opacity would become visible during a transition from a clip with 100% opacity.
Actually, in my needs, when selecting columns I do not intend to use any transitions. They would be simple cuts to new scenes (columns). So I wouldn't care about this bug if I could have all layers set to the clips presets of opacity and blend modes when selecting a columns.

FabianB
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by FabianB »

+1 on this. I really like using the difference layer blend mode, but on each column switch, it needs some readjusting, which shouldn't be. Is there a workaround for this?

greetings

fabian