Feature Request: Static Images as Slices

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
matinthehat
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Feature Request: Static Images as Slices

Post by matinthehat »

I'd like to have the ability to assign a static image to a slice rather than use a layer.
For a few reasons.
I like to create my own preview monitor and this could be used for labelling etc
To create a mock-up stage visualisation to preview with.
Also could be used as a permanent background or overlay for live outputs and avoid using layers for a single object

Programfeed
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Feature Request: Static Images as Slices

Post by Programfeed »

I know a feature similar to this has been discussed in the past, though I'm not sure of its current status.

Are you aware of the input map images that can be loaded for reference in Advanced Output? It isn't exactly what you're describing but it might help.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

matinthehat wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 05:44 I'd like to have the ability to assign a static image to a slice rather than use a layer.
For a few reasons.
I like to create my own preview monitor and this could be used for labelling etc
Also could be used as a permanent background or overlay for live outputs and avoid using layers for a single object
I've been doing this for a while.
What I do is add 3 layers to the top of my composition.
For this example:
Layers 1-6 are my content layers, These layers are grouped so I can add FX to the content.

Layers 7-8 are my Logo layers and Logo Masking (Layer 7 also has a Video Router referencing the Content Group), These layers are also grouped so I can add Logo FX

Layers 9-10 are my Strobe and Chaser color pallets, These layers are also grouped

Layer 11 is outside of the groups and is a "Source" input layer, so I can add VLC via NDI, Camera's or other things such as TD imports.

Here is where I add my 3 new layers.

Layer 12 will be for my "Live" mode.
I put a Video Router into this layer and have it fire first clip on load, ignore column triggers, and become persistent.

Layer 13 will be my "Composition" layer. I add a Video router (set to persistent) and set this layer to fire first clip on load, and to ignore column triggers.

Layer 14 will be my solid image or "mask" image layer.
Here, I recreate my stage setups in Vectorworks, then open the PNG into Photoshop and cut out all of my video panels leaving just Alpha channel behind.
I then put that file into Layer 14 and set it to be persistent, fire first clip on load, and to ignore column triggers.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

In advanced output I create a screen with 2 slices:

Slice 1 is my Visualizer slice and I map that slice to receive it's input from Layer 14
Slice 2 is my Content slice, and I map that slice's input to Layer 13.

In addition:

I will create a new screen for my individual slices. (set to virtual output)
I have a "temp" layer at the bottom referencing Layer 14 (I leave my Vectorworks image up at this point).
Then create a bunch of smaller slices to fit where they belong. (Proper labeling is key).
Once all my slices match where they should live on the stage, I remove my "temp" layer at the bottom and save.

From here, I add the Slice Transform FX to Layer 13 (My content layer) and from here, I can manipulate all of my slices as I see fit. Sometime I add 5-6 Slice Transforms with different functions for each of the slices.

This screen will be your "program in your hotel room or office" output. This will be your day to day setup.

The composition output window in the UI should look identical to this screen (and 90% of the time, the composition output window in the UI is good enough, but this will provide as an actual output if you need to connect it to a physical screen).

I then create another screen.
This will be your pixel map if you're working with LED walls. This will be your "Live" or "real world" output.
From here you build your slices to fit exactly as the pixel maps shows in your advancement riders.
You don't get to see this screen in your UI as it's usually a garbled mess from the LED tech's pixel map.
This is the screen will have all of your slices in it to fit the pixel map.
You will want to set ALL of the slices in this screen to have their input reference layer 12 (your "Live" layer)

From here, you can add slice transform FX to layer 12 and map them to the same keys as you did earlier for layer 13 so your preview window matches your "Live" output in the real world.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

It's a little bit of work, but should get you where you want to go.

You can really go down the rabbit hole on this one if you're not careful haha.

Did this all make sense?

Here's a video preview of the example I just described, showing you what a finished product looks like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3sq51quiptvk ... p.mp4?dl=0

matinthehat
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by matinthehat »

Arvol wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 01:18
matinthehat wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 05:44 I'd like to have the ability to assign a static image to a slice rather than use a layer.
For a few reasons.
I've been doing this for a while.
What I do is add 3 layers to the top of my composition.
For this example:
Layers 1-6 are my content layers, These layers are grouped so I can add FX to the content.

Layers 7-8 are my Logo layers and Logo Masking (Layer 7 also has a Video Router referencing the Content Group), These layers are also grouped so I can add Logo FX

Layers 9-10 are my Strobe and Chaser color pallets, These layers are also grouped

Layer 11 is outside of the groups and is a "Source" input layer, so I can add VLC via NDI, Camera's or other things such as TD imports.

Hi Arvol

Yeah this is similar to how I am currently doing it.
I just really don't like the idea of sacrificing so many layers to static items.

I have already managed to reduce my layer count dramatically with the new slice transform feature and am trying to streamline things more.

Here is a pic of my Preview monitor with stage view.
I managed to label layer with a text effect that was out of frame for the Led Screen rather than use stacks of layers, but it would be nice to consolidate all of this within the advanced output.

xdjxklusivex
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by xdjxklusivex »

Arvol always coming through with the tips!