Using stills with the Adobe DXV exporter

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
xuazak
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Resolume 6.0.9 & Adobe DXV Plugins Released

Post by xuazak »

Hello Everyone !

I have a suggestion / request after making some tests with all of this today !

In my theater shows, I use a lot of stills that I just animate with transforms. To do that, I export my pictures in DXV files with a given length, and in Quicktime Export Advanced options I tick the "optimize stills".

The chosen length of the DXV is the only way I've found to easily sync the movements of parameters on the time I need. I.E. : If I need an image to slide from x=0 to x=1920 in 4 minutes, I make a DXV file with my still image with a length of 4 minutes, so that I only have to choose Clip Sync in the parameter to get the good timing of movement. This technique is a trick to get the same possibilities as using PNG (as you can set the time of stills in resolume, but not of DXV files).

So, ticking "optimize stills" in Quicktime export will make a 9 Mb file, when a DXV file encoded with the new encoder, or with Quicktime without ticking "optimize stills" will make a 13 Gb file, which is a pity for a still, hey ? By the way, the encoding takes a few seconds with "optimize stills" and almost 50 minutes without !

So, for now, I can still export with the quicktime, so no problem... But in the future, I guess I won't ! So please could you consider adding this "optimize stills" feature in the DXV encoder ?

By the way, bravo for all you've done the last month !

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Using stills with the Adobe DXV exporter

Post by cvanhoose »

xuazak wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 08:58 Hello Everyone !

I have a suggestion / request after making some tests with all of this today !

In my theater shows, I use a lot of stills that I just animate with transforms. To do that, I export my pictures in DXV files with a given length, and in Quicktime Export Advanced options I tick the "optimize stills".

The chosen length of the DXV is the only way I've found to easily sync the movements of parameters on the time I need. I.E. : If I need an image to slide from x=0 to x=1920 in 4 minutes, I make a DXV file with my still image with a length of 4 minutes, so that I only have to choose Clip Sync in the parameter to get the good timing of movement. This technique is a trick to get the same possibilities as using PNG (as you can set the time of stills in resolume, but not of DXV files).

So, ticking "optimize stills" in Quicktime export will make a 9 Mb file, when a DXV file encoded with
the new encoder, or with Quicktime without ticking "optimize stills" will make a 13 Gb file, which is a pity for a still, hey ? By the way, the encoding takes a few seconds with "optimize stills" and almost 50 minutes without !

So, for now, I can still export with the quicktime, so no problem... But in the future, I guess I won't ! So please could you consider adding this "optimize stills" feature in the DXV encoder ?

By the way, bravo for all you've done the last month !
Make a 1 frame DXV3 file and then in R6 set the duration to 240s to get a 4min clip.

cvanhoose

Post by cvanhoose »

It is possible;) this 5536x4375 file is under 5mb
27712FD2-2FC0-4C45-B0F3-D9A1DEF191D5.png

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Another approach is to make the DXV file 5 seconds (which seems to be the default with the new plugin) and set the frame rate to 1fps. I tested with a 7333x3589 file and ended up with a 15MB file.

The advantage of having more than one frame is that you get access to a full timeline with a pause on the last frame which opens a whole new level of transition control with stills if you use DXV3 codec and a combination of the speed, clip position and envelop keyframing (https://vimeo.com/275404701).

cvanhoose

Post by cvanhoose »

Oaktown wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 03:11 Another approach is to make the DXV file 5 seconds (which seems to be the default with the new plugin) and set the frame rate to 1fps. I tested with a 7333x3589 file and ended up with a 15MB file.

The advantage of having more than one frame is that you get access to a full timeline with a pause on the last frame which opens a whole new level of transition control with stills if you use DXV3 codec and a combination of the speed, clip position and envelop keyframing (https://vimeo.com/275404701).
Great tip!