Individual clip start offset/anchor point

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Fableist
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Individual clip start offset/anchor point

Post by Fableist »

Not sure if this is possible, but I want to have a clip start halfway through and then loop back to the beginning in BPM mode. Essentially, it would mean having a movable anchor point that serves as the 1 down beat, allowing you to change the feel of the loop whilst retaining the overall timing... Is that do-able?

I guess maybe it's a feature request....

I vaguely remember fiddling with Visution's IR ClipSA a while back that might have worked, but that was 32-bit with R5. It would be great to get some of that functionality built in, or to have an envelope to control the timeline.

Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Individual clip start offset/anchor point

Post by Zoltán »

Moved to New features ;)

I guess what you could do if you launch your clips with a midi controller for example, would be to set a Cue point where you want the clip to start, and map the same midi note to the cue point as the clip trigger, with This clip target, and set the clip to continue from last position.
This also works with beat snap, but only if the clip is not being previewed.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Fableist

Post by Fableist »

Ah yes! Good idea. Just tried it and it works well to get a loop with a different start point.

In an ideal world, I'd like to be able to skip around the clip by hitting different MIDI notes, as this would save on RAM by only needing to load one version of the clip, instead of several with different start points.

However, I'm guessing the above technique requires the clip trigger message to go alongside the cue position message... I'm sending MIDI in via Ableton though, so I might see if there's a way to trigger a send of two MIDI notes at once.

It definitely solves one problem though. Thanks :)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Fableist wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 17:03 However, I'm guessing the above technique requires the clip trigger message to go alongside the cue position message... I'm sending MIDI in via Ableton though, so I might see if there's a way to trigger a send of two MIDI notes at once.
It definitely solves one problem though. Thanks :)
Should be no problem with a midi clip.
Fableist wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 17:03 In an ideal world, I'd like to be able to skip around the clip by hitting different MIDI notes, as this would save on RAM by only needing to load one version of the clip, instead of several with different start points.
Could be done either by using more of the Cue points, or mapping the Transport position to Midi notes in Value mode directly.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

brunoliv

Post by brunoliv »

I just upvoted this!

I have a lot of elements that I want to synchronize on the down beat and this it would be awesome!
it is much easier to set where the clip will start rather than set cues and mappings for a lot of clips.

bonjee

Post by bonjee »

Zoltán wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 08:35 Moved to New features ;)

I guess what you could do if you launch your clips with a midi controller for example, would be to set a Cue point where you want the clip to start, and map the same midi note to the cue point as the clip trigger, with This clip target, and set the clip to continue from last position.
This also works with beat snap, but only if the clip is not being previewed.

I'm a relatively new user and don't really understand how to do this, can you maybe repeat what you mean? Also, any chance this feature is on resolume yet? Would be nice to just set the point where the clip/loop starts instead of going back in to edit it!

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

This sounds very similar to my feature request where you can pick on what beat you want the clip or animation to start on, so we can do beat offsets where "x" clip starts on 1/4, "y" clip starts on 2/4, etc. etc. so we can make custom animation but all sync'd with the beat.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

bonjee wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 08:13 I'm a relatively new user and don't really understand how to do this, can you maybe repeat what you mean? Also, any chance this feature is on resolume yet? Would be nice to just set the point where the clip/loop starts instead of going back in to edit it!
Check out the cue points in the clips: https://resolume.com/support/en/video#cue-points You can use these to jump in the clip quickly.