"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
VJ_Lazershaft
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Envelopes!

Post by VJ_Lazershaft »

Firstly, Envelopes are great.

I have an actual new feature request.

Step Sequencer

I've spent a lot of time building a mostly generative set for an upcoming DJ tour, where we want flexibility in some places as the set and mixing may change slightly, but also a well programmed setup where all the clips in a coloumn work together.

I've been using 16bar and 32bar loops with a square wave (all 'hold' keyframes) and having 8-10 layers of clips turn on and off in different patterns.

Would be ace if I could also choose a 'step sequencer' UI and have exactly that - just turn on and off virtual pads at 2/4/8/16/32... I know there are plenty of situations where this wouldn't be enough, and that's why we have the envelope. But I think it would be a really useful additional programming tool.

For the existing Envelope:

I don't really get why the incremental beat markers in the envelope area disappear. Seems to be if you click out of the active clip/effect/layer and you have to alter the bpm of that parameter to get them to come up again, in other words double then half again to get back to where you were, or +- a beat.... Or am I missing something painfully obvious?

Just seems like there's not much to be gained from having them disappear compared to having them always there.

Also would be nice if you could snap to 1/2 and 1/4 increments when at the lower bpms....

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Envelopes!

Post by He2neg »

I´m not 100% sure but i think you can have / make presets for Envelop stuff.
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I'm looking to build a step sequencer. I have 2 other projects in the works right now that I feel would be more useful. But a step sequencer is definitely something I'm looking to have out at some point this year. It should allow for integration with resolume relatively easy.

VJ_Lazershaft

Post by VJ_Lazershaft »

You can have presets, I've saved about 40 so far, mostly pairs of opposite patterns (one's that can't simply be reversed of course)

I just feel like building anything even slightly custom when using only on/off values would be massively improved by switching to a step sequencer UI.

VJ_Lazershaft

Post by VJ_Lazershaft »

Arvol wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 02:09 I'm looking to build a step sequencer. I have 2 other projects in the works right now that I feel would be more useful. But a step sequencer is definitely something I'm looking to have out at some point this year. It should allow for integration with resolume relatively easy.
when you say integration with resolume, do you mean something that will take the main output or slices? If so, Chaser already exists..

I'm hoping for it to be part of any property that can be animated with an envelope currently, is that what you meant?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

VJ_Lazershaft wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 17:45
Arvol wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 02:09 I'm looking to build a step sequencer. I have 2 other projects in the works right now that I feel would be more useful. But a step sequencer is definitely something I'm looking to have out at some point this year. It should allow for integration with resolume relatively easy.
when you say integration with resolume, do you mean something that will take the main output or slices? If so, Chaser already exists..

I'm hoping for it to be part of any property that can be animated with an envelope currently, is that what you meant?
Chaser? I barely know Her!! :lol:

This would be a OSC/MIDI/DMX output sequencer that you could enter in address's and then your settings in the sequencer would determine the output values for each of those protocols.

VJ_Lazershaft

Post by VJ_Lazershaft »

hehe thought I was being too obvious.

Well what you're planning on sounds interesting but I'm still hoping for something in the UI of effect parameters :mrgreen:

NxKmn

Post by NxKmn »

Plop! Plop!

I tried to do a step sequencer using the envelopes.
I'm not sure that that exactly matches your request.

In my project, each Layer has several identical StepSequencers. They can be controlled separately

In theory, this works perfectly.
In practice, this requires a very large number of effects by Layers.
This results in a big loss of performance. Even when all the effects are bypassed.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17937#p73601

VJ_Lazershaft

Post by VJ_Lazershaft »

Yes I read your post before

I too have set up envelopes in this manner, though I don't have a midi device to correspond, I'm just using a Traktor Kontrol F1 these days.

My request was to have a visual interface just like the envelope, accessed by right clicking on any property as we do so far, but it consists of 2/4/8/16 squares that you simply click once for on and once for off.

It was just a thought as to how this could be done quickly during a show, I have preset envelopes to use but still feels like a long way to get there.

Bravo for putting the time in to get that midi setup! :shock: :shock:

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

+1 for Simple parameter step sequencer
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu