save preset

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
p8guitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

save preset

Post by p8guitar »

How do you save an effect preset that you have changed, when you don't know which preset is running?
Sometimes I have to guess and hope that I don't overwrite the wrong preset.

There should be a "save" button to overwrite the current preset, and a "save as" button in order to choose a new name or choose an existing preset to overwrite. I admit I didn't invent this concept, it is quite common...
Alternatively the current preset should be marked in the save window, maybe with a *.

MHamiltonVisuals
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: save preset

Post by MHamiltonVisuals »

Never thought about needing this but now that you put the idea in my head... I want.

-Matthew
https://www.mhamiltonvisuals.com

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

This is a common misconception. In Resolume, an effect preset is not "active". When you apply a preset, it creates a separate instance of the effect. Changing the values of an existing instance does not affect the preset and changing the values of the preset does not affect any existing instances. The effect is not tied to the preset at all. This is done by design.

p8guitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by p8guitar »

That's clear, I know the preset concept from plug-ins in DAWs like Ableotn Live or Logic. It would be very confusing when I overwrite an existing preset and the values would be changed in all instances that were called up with this preset in the past. But when I save a plug-in preset in Ableton Live, Live shows me the name of the preset that the current values of the instance are based on, so that I can decide if I want to overwrite this preset or create a new one.

I hope you understand my point - I'm afraid to overwrite a wrong preset when I don't know which preset was the "starting point" for the instance. On the other hand I don't want to create thousands of presets, just because of not knowing which one can be overwritten.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Yes, I understand your point.

There's quite a few people that do not share your experience and once saved, expect the preset to update wherever it is used. So we purposefully choose not to show the preset name to make it clear that there is no relation between preset and instance.

Eledtech
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Eledtech »

Having exactly the same wish. I saved wrong so many times.
Visual and led designer at eledtech and aseven night club/Berlin.