Autopilot Extensions: Separate Mode and Active State, Trigger Buttons, Group/Composition Autopilot and In-Deck Controls

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
subpixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Autopilot Extensions: Separate Mode and Active State, Trigger Buttons, Group/Composition Autopilot and In-Deck Controls

Post by subpixel »

Autopilot Mode and Active State
Firstly, it makes sense to me for the Autopilot mode (Prev/Next/Random) to be separated from whether it is active (On/Off). For example, the "Random" mode can be selected, but not on. Turning it on and off doesn't change the mode. This way multiple Layers can be turned on/off by, for example, a single keyboard shortcut without affecting the mode for each Layer. It also means that the Autopilot can be off but the action (launch clip depending on mode) manually triggered by the new Trigger Autopilot buttons proposed below.

For a Layer, the mode can be (Prev/Next/Random, Group Determined/Composition Determined), and the active state can be (On/Off, Group Determined/Composition Determined).

Clip-level Autopilot override settings should probably appear in the Clip panel (not just an option in the menus). Autopilot override can be (Layer Determined, Prev/Next/Random, First/Last, Do Nothing/Eject, Group Determined/Composition Determined). The default should be Layer Determined. It doesn't make sense for a clip to have an Autopilot active state.

Layer Trigger Autopilot Button
When you activate (by mouse click or shortcut), the Autopilot action for the loaded Clip (or the Layer, if no Clip loaded) is triggered.

There should be a Trigger Autopilot button in the Layer Autopilot section, along with the mode and active state settings.

I also propose an Autopilot Controls section in the Deck (activated by View > Show Autopilot Controls) next to the Transition Controls. I am currently frustrated by having to activate individual layers to see what they are set to (and change if I don't have shortcuts mapped, especially when I have a lot of layers). When displayed, it should have UI elements for the mode (<<, >>, random, Group, Comp), active state (on, off, Group, Comp), and the trigger button ("GO"/"Now"?).

Group Trigger Autopilot Button and Group Autopilot
I propose a new Autopilot section to be added to the Group panel. For a Group, the mode can be (Prev/Next/Random, Composition Determined), and the active state can be (On/Off, Composition Determined). There should also be a Trigger Autopilot button (maybe two, described later).

The usual triggering event for Group Autopilot could be based on a specified Layer, defaulting to the top Layer of the Group (and reset to the top Layer of the Group if the currently-selected Layer is removed from the Composition), but otherwise can be set to any Layer in the Composition to allow for a master control outside of the Group.

When the Group Autopilot is triggered (when Group Autopilot is "on" and the control Layer's Autopilot is triggered, or the Group Trigger Autopilot button is activated), all the Layer Trigger Autopilot buttons in the Group are activated (excluding the control layer if it is part of the Group). Maybe have separate trigger buttons for all Layers in the Group, and only the currently active Layers (layers with a clip loaded) in the Group.

Mode and active state Controls in the the Deck could operate similarly to the Group Play Backward/Group Pause/Group Play Forward buttons work (they activate the related controls for all Layers in the Group).

New Layer option to Ignore Group Trigger Autopilot (similar to Ignore Column Trigger).
New Clip option to Ignore Group Trigger Autopilot: Layer Determined, Ignore ("On"), Follow ("Off")

Composition Random Clip Button and Composition Autopilot

I propose a new Autopilot section to be added to the Composition panel. For the Composition, the mode can be (Prev/Next/Random), and the active state can be (On/Off). There should also be a Trigger Autopilot button (maybe two, described later).

Similarly to Group Autopilot, the usual triggering event for Composition Autopilot could be based on a specified Layer (or perhaps a Group), defaulting to the top Layer/Group (and reset to the top Layer/Group if the currently-selected Layer/Group is removed from the Composition), but otherwise can be set to any Layer/Group.

When the Composition Autopilot is triggered (when Composition Autopilot is "on" and the control Layer/Group's Autopilot is triggered, or the Composition Trigger Autopilot button is activated), all the Layer Trigger Autopilot buttons are activated (except for the control Layer, which can be a specified Group's control Layer). Maybe have separate trigger buttons for all Layers, and only the currently active Layers (layers with a clip loaded).

Mode and active state Controls in the the Deck could operate similarly to the Global Play Backward/Global Pause/Global Play Forward buttons work (they activate the related controls for all Layers).

New Group option to Ignore Composition Trigger Autopilot (similar to Ignore Column Trigger).
New Layer option to Ignore Composition Trigger Autopilot: Group Determined, Ignore, Follow.
New Clip option to Ignore Composition Trigger Autopilot: Group Determined, Layer Determined, Ignore ("On"), Follow ("Off").

Ignore Column Trigger
While writing this proposal, I realised that the Ignore Column Trigger options for Layers could be split into Ignore Group Column Trigger (On/Off) and Ignore Composition Column Trigger (Group Determined/Ignore/Follow).

Similarly, the Clip-level options could be expanded to Ignore Group Column Trigger (On/Off) and Ignore Composition Column Trigger (Layer Determined, Group Determined, Ignore, Follow).

I chose "Ignore" and "Follow" as I found "On" and "Off" confusing.

xergon
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Autopilot Extensions: Separate Mode and Active State, Trigger Buttons, Group/Composition Autopilot and In-Deck Contr

Post by xergon »

wow, that´s exactly what I was dreaming of last week... it´s like you read my mind and wrote it down, with some little extra tweaks and ideas. I like :-)

exoplanet
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Autopilot Extensions: Separate Mode and Active State, Trigger Buttons, Group/Composition Autopilot and In-Deck Contr

Post by exoplanet »

All of its described future features also seem essential to me.
(especially the column trigger from a single clip in automatic mode)
In the meantime I am not moving from Resolume 6.

Make our wishes come true. ;)