telnet serial port command output

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: telnet serial port command output

Post by Arvol »

Full Spectrum wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 23:53 Thank you, Arvol! Yes, I thought I might be conflating the two.

Thank you, I do use bitfocus with my Streamdeck for smaller shows (and my elaborate D&D campaigns), but again, I would strongly encourage Resolume to provide a native solution. As much as I, the designer, can easily do it, there is a culture of simplicity and turn-key workflows that bigger theaters depend on. Most opera companies would laugh me out of the room if I showed up with a Streamdeck and asked somebody to press a button that wasn't spacebar.
Interesting, as streamdecks are "THE" new piece of gear literally every corporate show in the world is using now lol. I've even seen theaters use a wall mounted streamdeck for house lighting ;)

I get what you're saying, but also keep in mind, people who want to lamp on or off projectors and adjust barn doors via TCP/UDP is under 1% of the userbase in Resolume, so the man hours spent to program in those features will probably not happen (if we're being honest here). BUT, being the creative individual you are, it's your job to find solutions for your clients right? maybe spending a few hours developing a system that works might be the better option here? Telnet is dead and TCP/UDP can already be achieved via Companion. Seems like the tools are already here, just not under 1 roof. Going back to an earlier point, once that request becomes asked enough by a large enough portion of the userbase, it'll most likely come to pass.

Full Spectrum
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Full Spectrum »

A totally fair and thoughtful answer, thank you, Arvol. If you're talking about user bases, it's not like Opera (or even theater) can compete with the corporate world...

My programing abilities are seriously lacking compared to my content/creative abilities, but your point is well taken.

Thank you.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Full Spectrum wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 03:28 A totally fair and thoughtful answer, thank you, Arvol. If you're talking about user bases, it's not like Opera (or even theater) can compete with the corporate world...

My programing abilities are seriously lacking compared to my content/creative abilities, but your point is well taken.

Thank you.
IMO, I'd set everything up to run in companion (what's lacking from Resolume) and then from within arena, you can send out OSC on port 12321 on localhost to control companion from within Resolume ;)
At the bottom of each companion button is an osc address used to trigger that button, so using Resolume's custom OSC out option on a clip, you could bypass a layer, assign blank clips to it, and then use the custom osc clip connect address to send out a button change to companion. You will need to configure companion once then minimize, but from that point on, technically, Resolume would then be controlling your TCP/UDP hardware. Might take a few min up front but should provide a solid workflow going forward.

That's how I would approach it. LMK if you need some help, more than happy to help :)

Full Spectrum
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Full Spectrum »

Awesome suggestion. I'm looking into it now. Thank you! I'll let you know if I run into trouble.