3d Model Support (OBJ / FBX )

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
sourcegate
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

3d Model Support (OBJ / FBX )

Post by sourcegate »

Hello,

I know many of us love to use Audio Reactive and interactive related elements in our shows.

I'm inquiring to see if there are any plans to have OBJ or FBX import support.

The ability to pull in a 3d object and manipulate their position, size, rotation, geometry would make for some very dynamic and real-time visualizations.

I know many folks have recently been using tools like TouchDesigner, Smode, or other tools to pull in a feed from these via NDI/DMX as a workaround.

I ask myself, how amazing would it be to use the new Color Palette Animation or Generators (Metaballs, Sine Wave, Spiral) to manipulate 3d objects.

Instead of a full-rendered animation from Cinema4d/After effects, etc what if we could import an object and apply transforms to it?

Please vote up if you agree or are after this feature. If enough people like it and Resolume isn't interested in putting this into core perhaps I'll build it and launch it as a plugin on Juicebar like I did with Threewave https://get-juicebar.com/detail/threewave
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 11.58.16 AM.png

MennoV

Re: 3d Model Support (OBJ / FBX )

Post by MennoV »

Until this is implemented inside Resolume you may be interested in a Juicebar plugin I've made. https://get-juicebar.com/detail/gltfviewer
This plugin imports GLTF scenes. OBJ/FBX can be converted to GLTF using external tools and you'll have full support for animation and texturing etc.

It currently doesn't support applying transformations to objects without running an animation but i could add that if people would be interested.
I am curious to know how you would use video in Resolume to adjust the geometry. Are you after something that would apply displacement mapping perhaps?

Yu HaiChuang

Re: 3d Model Support (OBJ / FBX )

Post by Yu HaiChuang »

MennoV wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 00:41 Until this is implemented inside Resolume you may be interested in a Juicebar plugin I've made. https://get-juicebar.com/detail/gltfviewer
This plugin imports GLTF scenes. OBJ/FBX can be converted to GLTF using external tools and you'll have full support for animation and texturing etc.

It currently doesn't support applying transformations to objects without running an animation but i could add that if people would be interested.
I am curious to know how you would use video in Resolume to adjust the geometry. Are you after something that would apply displacement mapping perhaps?
This feature is great! I like it very much! It would be even better if it can run on the macOS platform!
I think this method can greatly reduce the mapping and alignment work on irregular surfaces.
I really like it!