Splash Screen Disable

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
vectorfuton
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Splash Screen Disable

Post by vectorfuton »

Things I love: Resolume.

Things I don't love: Resolume splash screen taking up valuable screen space and preventing me from using my computer as I'd like to in the several minutes it takes the program to load.

An option to disable or otherwise minimize the splash screen on start would be a most welcome feature. :D :D :D

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Splash Screen Disable

Post by Zoltán »

Several minutes??
How many effects are you loading via the plugin paths?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

vectorfuton

Post by vectorfuton »

I've not added any effects / messed with plugin paths to my knowledge. But since upon load it opens the most recent project (an 'issue' I had raised a while back here but never got a response to, as I seem to recall it opening much quicker with a default 3 layer template in the past) which is a many-layered / many-columned / many-clipped set, it takes minutes to initialize. (Deck switching is sluggish too unless I spend all my time in the one Deck, which, workflow-wise isn't ideal, but seems to save me at least a little time in comparison to switching from deck to deck)

When you say 'plugin paths' are you referring to folders which contain FFGL / VST's? Or are you referring to the particular number of effects I use throughout the clips in my decks / 'most recent' project?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

vectorfuton wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 22:54 But since upon load it opens the most recent project (an 'issue' I had raised a while back here but never got a response to, as I seem to recall it opening much quicker with a default 3 layer template in the past) which is a many-layered / many-columned / many-clipped set, it takes minutes to initialize. (Deck switching is sluggish too unless I spend all my time in the one Deck, which, workflow-wise isn't ideal, but seems to save me at least a little time in comparison to switching from deck to deck)
If you mean this topic, I see a solution right below your post.
vectorfuton wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 22:54 When you say 'plugin paths' are you referring to folders which contain FFGL / VST's? Or are you referring to the particular number of effects I use throughout the clips in my decks / 'most recent' project?
Both.
Loading a plugin takes some time, instantiating it on a clip or layer takes time too. Add this up, and you can get quickly to half minutes.
If you have effects you use a lot with a specific setting, it's best to use them as a single Effect clip.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

vectorfuton

Post by vectorfuton »

I've kept up with the Deck Switching topic you linked and saw the workaround suggested there (although I'm not sure I 100% understand the solution offered up, and even so still think it would leave me desiring an alternative). When I say I raised the issue before I am referring to a post I deleted after a few days of getting no response wherein I asked ~"How come Resolume autoloads my most recent project and doesn't start with a fresh default template? Has it always been this way?"

I am indeed pushing the software as far as I can go without it slowing things to an unbearable crawl, so some time being taken while the system 'adds things up' is to be expected. This isn't a problem if I'm already in Resolume and loading the mega-set while already in another set, but since it starts up by loading most recent (most recent always being my mega-set) the adding up of effect instantiations bogs me down WITH the splash screen, which is irksome. I suppose I could make a sparse / 'default' set and just load that project file each time I wanted to start Resolume, and then once inside open up my mega-set, but I'm not sure why this extra step needs to be taken instead of just loading the default set each time. I see XML files in the preferences which show defaultLayout and recentLayout. To me this indicates that Resolume indeed has a 'default', but maybe this is only for when first getting the program set up and installed, and then after that it opts for 'recent' on all future loads??? Not sure...

I make use of Effect Clips as suggested, and they are stacked with many instances of FX. What I have been wanting to do is have certain decks be Effect Clip libraries so that I can just jump to these decks, Copy the Effect Clip chains, jump back to other 'Scene' decks and paste to clips as need be, but then the deck sluggishness issue arises. So for now it seems having the numerous Effect Clips stored in the same deck as my Scene decks is the workaround, but given my preferences and overall file / clip management approach and workflow, this is not ideal.

While I have your attention, upon loading a set, does this initialization take the time to load up all effects across all decks, or does it just take the time to load whatever deck is currently selected upon set load? Like, if I switched to an empty deck in my mega-set before saving / closing, then opened the set up fresh again, would it load quicker? Because if it has to re-load the clips upon deck switch anyway this implies to me the non-selected decks would not take up extra time upon that first load.

Hopefully I've communicate myself effectively here. Thanks for the help.

vectorfuton

Post by vectorfuton »

Read over cosmowe's workaround a few more times and I think I get it better now. As mentioned, I still don't think this an ideal solution for me in particular, but perhaps I'll try to integrate this approach and modify to see if I can find a satisfactory compromise...

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Minutes?!? :shock: :shock:

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Check out persistent clips: https://resolume.com/support/en/clips#persistent-clips
With this you could have your effect clips form one deck, visible in all decks in a layer above your content.
When I say I raised the issue before I am referring to a post I deleted after a few days of getting no response wherein I asked ~"How come Resolume autoloads my most recent project and doesn't start with a fresh default template? Has it always been this way?"
If you delete a post, how do you expect a reply?

Layouts are presets for the user interface. Basically which panel goes where.

Resolume will load the last composition you used on startup. You can create a new composition before exiting, then a new composition will be what Resolume opens on startup with.
But that won't fix the loading times.

Could you send us this composition to mail@resolume.com so we can get an idea what you try work with?
Thanks!

vectorfuton

Post by vectorfuton »

If you delete a post, how do you expect a reply?
I saw that you specifically had responded to several other posts that were made around the same time / after mine and so assumed I was being left on read. "Resolume will load the last composition you used on startup" was the only clarification I needed. The 'new set' workaround I will go with for now, even if loading times remain the same. At least it should speed up that initial load and spare me the splash screen obstruction.

Yeah, the layouts realization occurred to me shortly after I posted. Da doy. Although, wondering, does it sometimes re-size the panels? I have made layout settings which minimize the width of FX, Sources, Files (for ex), but then I will later load up the layout and while things are in the position they should be, I have to shrink size again to maximize screen real estate. Haven't sat down to troubleshoot that one specifically, and maybe it changes if there are changes to screen resolution in Windows inbetween Resolume sessions (??), but a curious behaviour I have run into a time or two...

Right now I am working on paring down my mega-set as much as I know how to lessen the load time. One obvious culprit would be that I had a couple of decks (containing hundreds of clips) duplicated. Lacking a full understanding of the computational processes / 'resource consumption' ways of the software, it didn't occur to me that this would necessarily cause issues. I figured that the clips would 'point' to video files and wouldn't be eating up resources if I had them duplicated / taking up many cells, but I guess not? I don't know, and if there's a dedicated breakdown I skipped over in the manual, my bad. But??? Maybe this is all total noob behaviour, but relatively speaking, I *am* new to the software, so yeah...

Anyway, deleting duplicate decks dropped my set from a whopping 144MB (a file size I hadn't even really looked at, but which, when compared to earlier projects I had which were like 40kb, was an obviously *enormous* size) to around 60MB. But this still seems quite hefty...

I have removed all excess Columns from each deck. I have been sorting out my clip library in such a way that each layer is its own dedicated collection of clips, but sometimes there are big disparities in numbers of clips. So, one row might have 70 clips / columns for 'BACKGROUND' and another layer uses 10 clips / columns for 'DANCERS' (for ex). Does the creation of all those additional (unused) cells bog things down significantly? The way I work it has been 'making sense' to lay things out like that, but maybe I need to cram things in differently so that Column / Cell count is lower overall??

I haven't counted the *exact* number of video files I use in the set, but it's at least a couple hundred. Do the particulars of each video (length, resolution, etc...) affect load time? I have many clips which are just microloops of a given segment of a longer / larger video file, but would cropping them all down and re-importing them even make a difference? I would rather not do this (future projects will be much tidier and won't have so much excess footage, but this first one is messy due to me learning my way around).

In addition to a 'CLIPS' deck which holds all my video files (the deck I mentioned I had duplicates of), I have 5 'FX BANK' decks which range from 35-50ish columns used per. Each column containing usually 3 to 5 clip containing layers (as well as the remaining empty near-40 layers which are there because I use them for sorting CLIP collections). These individual Effect Clips can be minimal (1 or 2 or 0 effects) to heavily stacked chains of like 20+ FX. I was trying to keep them all in the same deck so I could switch to the deck, copy a column, then return to different deck to actually build / develop specific scenes, but deck switching with all that going on ground to a halt, so I split it up into multiples.

I saved a copy of the set without *any* CLIPS deck just to see how big the project would be with the FX BANK decks alone, and it dropped from 60MB to 19MB... So it seems my FX chains are still quite intense, but not as all-consuming as the CLIPS deck.

Having taken these steps and launched the newly trimmed / cleaned up set (with one CLIPS deck included), load time now only takes me about 3 and a half minutes, which is an improvement, but could still be brought down I'm sure.

As for sharing the set (I mean 'composition'.. I come from Ableton .als land), I'd be happy to e-mail y'all (and any non-staff reading this as well) so you can get a better idea of what I'm going for. If you want to keep the thread going on the forum here, cool, but if my novel-length post is a bit much, we can continue the conversation via email too. I could send *just* the Avenue project (sans video files), but ultimately my system is meant to work along with Ableton Live, and understanding how the two go together would help to explain why I am doing things the way I am doing them, as well as potentially provoke you to show me a better way to achieve tasks I'm currently stuck on. I understand this isn't an Ableton-centric forum, but the two programs together work beautifully and complement each other quite effectively when running smoothly, and I'm sure there are other folk here who would benefit from the intergenereactive compositional approach I am devising!

In summation, if I do not receive a response within 3-5 minutes of posting this, I will assume that you personally hate me and are too busy telling all your cool VJ friends what an obtuse dork I am to help me solve these issues.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

AngeloDV

Post by AngeloDV »

Not really a solution but more an after thought, this is exactly what happens when the software gives you complete freedom.

It is kind of the same as mailing Adobe asking why a project takes forever to load when the project has a load of files or layers, right?

I am really curious how loaded that comp file must be :shock: