Beat-synchronized effects Stop Motion and Strobe

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Dagobert
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Beat-synchronized effects Stop Motion and Strobe

Post by Dagobert »

I am currently working on a sequence which needs a tight beatsync on sequences and effects when I noticed that this is currently pretty hard with the Stop Motion and the Strobe effect: the frequency can be adjusted but is not beatsynced.

It would be great to have a new control on Stop Motion with two states: ON is "clip runs" which mimics the current Frame Count control and OFF means the frame is frozen. This could then be synced to Timeline, BPM etc. and an envelope would even allow uneven timings.

For the Strobe effect I would suggest a similar control with ON means strobe is lit and OFF means strobe is off. This way also the duration of the strobe flash could be controlled. Also Fade can be integrated nicely by an envelope on the strobe level extending the binary ON/OFF to intermediate levels by using a ramp envelope.

I'm looking forward to your feedback, merry christmas and have fun mixing! -- Dago

gremlintech

Re: Beat-synchronized effects Stop Motion and Strobe

Post by gremlintech »

There is a way to do this with envelopes by doing a "solid color" or "stop motion" effect using a square wave modulated at the time run, but I agree, this should be integrated to software.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Dagobert wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 18:01 It would be great to have a new control on Stop Motion with two states: ON is "clip runs" which mimics the current Frame Count control and OFF means the frame is frozen. This could then be synced to Timeline, BPM etc. and an envelope would even allow uneven timings.
You can animate the Bypass button on the effects via right click...
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Dagobert

Post by Dagobert »

Hi Zoltan,

thanks for pointing out that the Bypass button can be automated - I wasn't aware of that and this solves my issue! :)

However, from a usage perspective, I think it would be nice to be able to achieve this without using effect bypass as the automation then prevents me from manually turning the effect on and off (I am aware that this can be achieved with yet other workarounds, but from a programming background cleanness of usability would be a Good Thing(tm))

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Dagobert wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 13:46 I am aware that this can be achieved with yet other workarounds, but from a programming background cleanness of usability would be a Good Thing(tm)
Pausing the animation is just a click, indeed.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu