Each layer has its own BPM. Why not ...?

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
AEK
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Each layer has its own BPM. Why not ...?

Post by AEK »

Hi Arvol,
Hi Zoltán!

Finally there was time and I made a test according to your recommendations. But, he did not please me. Changing the Beats value via OSC does not affect the clip animation speed. When manually changed, everything works fine. What is the problem? Did I do something wrong as you advised?

https://yadi.sk/i/QWKCaE37HbTkEw

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I believe there is are 2 bugs in the current system.
The divide and the multiply parameters should have an int or float value from 0-1, However they are referencing a float from 0 - 1048576 (which is what the BPM +/- parameter is asking for).
When I try to send a 0-1 int Arena freezes as the beats are now set to "inf" (I have to manually kill Arena).
When I send out a 0-1 float, the buttons work, But it's double sending. 0-1 float get's a multiply or divide on the momentary press (1) and then it re-triggers on the release (0), so having a start beat of 4 if I press the divide button once (momentary), it goes from 4 to 1 (double played), when it should go from 4 to 2 (single play).
I've even tried adding in a 0-1 to a 0-1048576 remap in TD to see if I can send a value of just one, but 0.000000953675 is such a small number, even TD can't compute it lol.

@Zoltan, is this a bug, or should it be a 0-1048576 float for these params?

@AEK, What you're doing is right, in terms of trying to get the outcome you're after. I think it's just a bug atm. Sorry about that.

AEK

Post by AEK »

Yes Avrol. I see the problem too. And also my deep conviction that the OSC protocol is needed in those cases when certain parameters need to be controlled from mobile devices (phone or tablet) from the hall, and not from the control room where the video server is located. In this case, I don't understand why you can't do without OSC by including two buttons (*2 and /2) in the layer settings. This functionality would significantly increase the comfort of the VJ and increase the reliability of the system.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Hmm, looks like there are multiple things going wrong there.

The value for the tempo multiply should say Float 0, or 1 in the OSC mapping.

Of course, then the OSC input should make the clip follow the change too. Made a ticket for these.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

AEK wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:30 Yes Avrol. I see the problem too. And also my deep conviction that the OSC protocol is needed in those cases when certain parameters need to be controlled from mobile devices (phone or tablet) from the hall, and not from the control room where the video server is located. In this case, I don't understand why you can't do without OSC by including two buttons (*2 and /2) in the layer settings. This functionality would significantly increase the comfort of the VJ and increase the reliability of the system.
Using a * wildcard (/composition/layers/3/clips/*/transport/position/behaviour/duration/multiply as an example)
is the same functionality as adding the buttons you are requesting for each layer.

IMO there will be very few people using this feature, and I feel it will probably cause more confusion and problems than providing helpful solutions to the rest of the Resolume userbase.
I'm sure a lot of thought goes into what features are "needed" and what features are "needed for a small demographic."
In the end scheme of things, adding a feature that causes more havok and time spent helping users troubleshoot issues they created by unknowingly clicking a button on accident isn't what people are after haha. Just my opinion though :)

For now, the wildcard OSC mapping should get you what you are after. Of course, once the bugs are fixed.

AEK

Post by AEK »

Arvol wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 15:40 Using a * wildcard (/composition/layers/3/clips/*/transport/position/behaviour/duration/multiply as an example)
is the same functionality as adding the buttons you are requesting for each layer.
Do not quite understand. How can I assign this wildcard combination to the midi controller buttons without using the OSC client (for example, Chataigne)?

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

AEK wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 16:55
Arvol wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 15:40 Using a * wildcard (/composition/layers/3/clips/*/transport/position/behaviour/duration/multiply as an example)
Do not quite understand. How can I assign this wildcard combination to the midi controller buttons without using the OSC client (for example, Chataigne)?
Exactly. You will need a protocol converter to do that.

@Zoltan, I don't think there's any way around this currently is there? Short of re-writing the Shortcut system to somehow include a Wildcard system for MIDI,DMX,and Keyboard?

AEK

Post by AEK »

Arvol wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 17:24
@Zoltan, I don't think there's any way around this currently is there? Short of re-writing the Shortcut system to somehow include a Wildcard system for MIDI,DMX,and Keyboard?
Great idea! Ideally, you should be able to assign OSC sequences to the MIDI controller buttons/faders. Very often, the OSC protocol is not needed for local operation, but only creates additional inconveniences.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

AEK wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 17:41
Arvol wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 17:24
Great idea! Ideally, you should be able to assign OSC sequences to the MIDI controller buttons/faders. Very often, the OSC protocol is not needed for local operation, but only creates additional inconveniences.
Re-writing an entire section of an app doesn't seem realistic, but that's why there's the Vote Button up top ;)
There might be another way to achieve this without an re-write. But for now, the MIDI to OSC should get you going, once the bugs are fixed.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Arvol wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 17:24 @Zoltan, I don't think there's any way around this currently is there? Short of re-writing the Shortcut system to somehow include a Wildcard system for MIDI,DMX,and Keyboard?
Chataigne might be able to send bulk midi messages.

Adding more targets for midi shortcuts could be a way, I guess. Like "All clips in this layer"
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu