Each layer has its own BPM. Why not ...?

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
AEK
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Each layer has its own BPM. Why not ...?

Post by AEK »

Arvol wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 05:34
Since that app is driving the BPM Arena is locked to that device.
Just the way things work. Your situation is probably the only unique situation like this, so changing standard operating procedures for 1 user out of the entire customer base is probably not going to happen.
The expected sad answer. It is a pity that you do not see the reasonableness of expanding the Arena functionality in this direction. I am sure that many users would appreciate such a "bauble".

Waveclock has been around for several years for both Mac and Win. It does a very good job of determining BPM from the input audio stream. We do not understand why Resolume has not yet integrated this module into its programs (I am sure that agreeing on the formal legal and financial side of the issue would not cause problems). Or, over the years, you could create your own module, with similar functionality.

Best regards,
Andrey.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Layers don't have tempo in Resolume. The clips which play in layers and the composition do.
Clips can not only play in their own layer, there are multiple options where a clip can be started. (check clip target)

What you can do, would be sending OSC or Midi to the clip tempo controls.

Wit OSC you can also do Wildcards, so for example sending a float 1 to
/composition/layers/3/clips/*/transport/position/behaviour/duration/multiply
would set all clips in layer 3 to double the tempo they had originally.

Would be pretty easy to set up in TouchOSC.

Otherwise, this would be a topic for the feature requests, so moved it there ;)

Also check out the Denon DJ sync: https://resolume.com/support/en/sync-to-denon-players maybe that helps too.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

AEK

Post by AEK »

Thank you Zoltán.
We are going to try the OSC settings you suggest. Of course, this is not the most beautiful and simple way, but if there is nothing else, you will have to master it.

AEK

Post by AEK »

Zoltán wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:46
Zoltán, сorrectly I understand that in this case all clips in the layer will have a tempo: received BPM from Waveclock * 2?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

AEK wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 09:46
Arvol wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 05:34
Since that app is driving the BPM Arena is locked to that device.
Just the way things work. Your situation is probably the only unique situation like this, so changing standard operating procedures for 1 user out of the entire customer base is probably not going to happen.
The expected sad answer. It is a pity that you do not see the reasonableness of expanding the Arena functionality in this direction. I am sure that many users would appreciate such a "bauble".

Waveclock has been around for several years for both Mac and Win. It does a very good job of determining BPM from the input audio stream. We do not understand why Resolume has not yet integrated this module into its programs (I am sure that agreeing on the formal legal and financial side of the issue would not cause problems). Or, over the years, you could create your own module, with similar functionality.

Best regards,
Andrey.
I'm sorry the reality of the situation is sad to you. I've already provided a working solution using OSC. This is probably going to be the only solution for you for a while. At least this is in the new features thread so people can vote for this request if they think it's something they need.

Not to sound like a broken record, but if you take the time to get all of your content in sync with each other using a standardized BPM (I spent 2 weeks going through the 1000's of clips I have and syncing them all up to be in beat. I used 127BPM since that's a very common BPM, but any BPM will work, the key is to get them all in sync with each other regardless of the BPM). At that point it doesn't matter what the BPM is, all the clips will play in sync with each other.
So I don't understand what having multiple BPMs will accomplish? Since the clips are in sync, the only changes you would want to make at that point would be to double or half the BPM of a clip, to keep it in sync, but slow it down, and at that point, I point you right back to my previous reply that says you can use a selected layers clip in OSC to double or half the BPM of that clip. But honestly, if you takes the time to get each clip in sync with each other, you really shouldn't even have to do that. Since you already know your content looks the way you want it to before hand.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

AEK wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 13:57
Zoltán wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:46
Zoltán, сorrectly I understand that in this case all clips in the layer will have a tempo: received BPM from Waveclock * 2?
Forget about layers for a moment, as they have nothing to do with BPM.

BPM is done on the Clip level. So your external BPM device will drive the Resolume engine to playback ALL Clips at a specified BPM.

It's your job as the VJ to change each Clip. So using a OSC device, Or MIDI, You can tell a Clip to change It's BPM. You can double or half the BPM, or even assign how many beats the clip will have in total.

Zoltan was saying you can use the * as wildcards. So instead of saying "Layer 3 Clip 1" or "Selected Layer Current Clip" You can now send the OSC command to change the Clips BPM change (half, double, or total beats per clips) to Every Clip in that layer using Wildcards.

Going back to a point I brought up earlier, You need to make sure your Clips are in sync with each other before this will look good. In general I would NOT use the "total beats per clip" command, as I typically change this number manually on a Per Clip basis when setting up all my Clips to be in sync with each other, So the only thing I would change is the double ro half command.

This will only work if you're playing a clip in Layer 3 (as an example) and that clip playes in layter 3.
My compositions are setup that any clip in any layer can play on any layer that is selected. So the solutions listed above would not work for me, but they Will work for people that have clips selected to only play in their current housed layer that they rest in.
Also, the wildcards only work for OSC not MIDI.

You external BPM device drives Resolume and then YOU as a VJ change the Clips BPM (half / double) using and external controller.

Hope this clarifies things a bit more for you.

For OSC stability and ease of programming, you might look into a Elgato Stream Deck and then use Bitfocus Companion. You can obviously use Touch OSC or Lemur. But I rather have a hardlined USB OSC device myself ;)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

AEK wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 13:57 Zoltán, сorrectly I understand that in this case all clips in the layer will have a tempo: received BPM from Waveclock * 2?
Not quite, this message is changing the Beat count.
So, it will do [original clip Beats number]*2 on every clip in the layer, actually it will halve the tempo of the clip.
AV clips have an option to set them to BPM sync/BPM mode which then has
/composition/layers/1/clips/*/transport/position/behaviour/bpm/multiply
address, and that will double the BPM of the clip.
Arvol wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 17:33 But I rather have a hardlined USB OSC device myself ;)
I'd also probably make something custom for this, maybe a midi to OSC translator app.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Zoltán wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 07:57 I'd also probably make something custom for this, maybe a midi to OSC translator app.
For AEK:

Chataigne is a good solution for MIDI to OSC If you already have a MIDI controller:
https://benjamin.kuperberg.fr/chataigne/en

Companion for Stream Deck is a great solution if you already have a Stream Deck:
https://bitfocus.io/companion/

AEK

Post by AEK »

Arvol wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 16:44
Chataigne is a good solution for MIDI to OSC If you already have a MIDI controller:
Thanks. I have wanted to learn Chataigne for a long time. It looks like the time has come ...))))

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

AEK wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 17:34
Arvol wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 16:44
Thanks. I have wanted to learn Chataigne for a long time. It looks like the time has come ...))))
They have a great tutorial video selection and discord channel if you get stuck. It's pretty straight forward.