Alley Codec

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Arvol
Might as well join the team

Alley Codec

Post by Arvol »

Could we add a mp4 codec to Alley for conversion? There's times I want to send a file or two for previewing via the web and rather than sending a large DXV file, a small MP4 would be great. Would be nice not to have AME on every machine to do a small conversion to package and send. Thanks :)
Last edited by Arvol on Thu Sep 23, 2021 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

jim
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Alley Codec

Post by jim »

I am just here to update and agree, it means that you could run your full production from resolme, because these days, I feel your not handing off content to video people who are going edit, more and more stuff is being prepped for Web, and if you can hand off a h.264, which is codec most webstuff supports. I don't know much about the specs of 265 over 264 interms of backwards compatibility. I think it would be safer and more robust to go with h.264

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

264 is a standard anything can play, 265 isn't yet. tbh its more about file size for me. I'm currently managing a festivals content and I'm at 1.6TB of content with 6 artists still missing. Try downloading 1+TB on a campgrounds WIFI, it's not a fun process. But if you package those up as MP4's then we download them and convert them, you just shaved half a week and thousands of dollars of money out of the equation.
Giving users the tools to convert DXV3 back to MP4 for web transfer (without the need for AME) would be super handy (imo). :)

jim
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by jim »

Arvol,
I have been there many a time even before there was a DXV codec, I know your pain. Actually thinking about it makes my current life seem better not data wrangling for a festival, lol good luck :)

I am in 100% agreement with you, but the more points that are made to support why bring in H.264 the better. So getting more people to post on this post and upvote the better as it will show support for feature.

Jim